Saturday, September 28, 2024

Siem Reap - Angkor Wat Part 1


After getting our 1-day pass ticket, we were off to Angkor Wat! I was so excited! Remembering just 2 months back in Bangkok where I took a photo of the model of Angkor to inspire myself to come here. Finally, I was gonna see the real thing!


The tuk-tuk driver dropped us at the entrance, and I told him to come pick us up 2 hours later. Even if I finished earlier, I don't think I would mind just spending more time here. To be frank, I didn't know what to expect. My research hasn't been exactly that extensive! So from the main entrance, I started walking towards the main attraction. Above is actually taken on our way back. As you can see, Angkor is quite far from the entrance, and it was quite a walk to get there, in the morning sun!


I read that Angkor Wat was designed with some reservoir around it. So walking through the bodies of water, was kinda like a cleansing ritual towards the sacred temple, right? It was a beautiful day. No rain in sight!


After walking for almost quite a long time, I was beginning to wander if 2hours was even enough since I haven't even reach the temple! But in front of me, slowly but surely, Angkor Wat started to appear. I always that Angkor Wat was made up of three towers. Now I know there are actually five...


The path towards the temple were filled with stone guardians from another world, standing gallantly at each crossway. It was like entering into another era, another world. Something you only see on movies. But this time, it was real. At  least, it used to be real. To think that long time back, this was the center of the Khmer Empire. Something I hardly know about. 


Even before reading the main temple, you can see minor structures along the way. I didn't detour to check them out. But what a beautiful day it was, to capture the greens and the blues of nature. I was quite overjoyed at the sight.


Here is a view from after reaching the actual entrance of Angkor Wat. Look how far we had to walk! I was also wandering, is the way back the same? Cause I would have to make my way back to meet our driver later!


Moving into the temple, I really did not know what to expect. I though it would be an open space, a temple like building for worship like the usual Thai or Chinese temples. But what I found at the perimeter, were corridors and corridors of stone pathway. It was like I was walking into a pyramid. I've never been into a pyramid before, but I guess this would be how it felt like from all the movies I've watched!


Passing through the perimeter structure, inside the walls, there are further temples in the middle. I took so many photos that day, but I can't upload them all here. But every turn, every wall, every corner, where beautiful sand stone carving. I will do a dedicated post of those carving after each temple I visit. For they were so detailed, so beautiful and grand that I felt that whoever worked on this place, must have loved it very much, either the empire, or the gods, or both. I did find some materials on youtube that state that Angkor Wat was built by slaves. But looking at all these artisan carving, I find it rather hard to believe.


Above are court dancers carving into the sandstone of the walls. I find them so delicate and feminine. 


There were also stoned stature along the corridors. Mainly Buddhist or Hindu in nature. Most were without head. I also wander why that is. My husband said that they were probably stolen long ago by thieves.... I like that the corridors were quite empty. It was the rainy season when we visited, and one hour earlier than most Klook tours would have started. I like the feeling of having the place all to ourselves to explore. 


Right at the end of the temple, were the dreaded small and steep stairs of Angkor Wat that had given me much doubt on whether to ever visit this place. I am not good with stairs as I tend to get dizzy. But as long as there are hand rails, I was ok to climb it. My fear of stairs have somewhat subsided after climbing a ridiculously steep rock steps in the Kunisaki Peninsular last year in search of Buddha carving on rocks. After that tripped, any manmade stairs doesn't really scare me as much anymore. I'll post about that one day of my Kyushu trip in 2023.


Here is the beautiful view from the very top of Angkor Wat. You can see the areas surrounding the temple. You can see the straight roads leading towards the north south east west. It was a very organised structure!


There are some statue of Buddha you can pay your respect to at the top. I like that it wasn't anything fancy. 


Above is one of my favourite Buddha Statue, mainly due to the single lotus flower placed slightly off center of it. After working on this blog collection, I think I roughly know why I like Siem Reap so much. It was the simplicity, and the nature. Just like the temples I see in Japan, they were always simple, made of stone or wood, and always surrounded by nature, water and plants. It was similar here, and I think that was what I was drawn to.  It was an interesting reflection, cause it was rare that I would like a place so instantly. I usually take some time to warm up to a foreign place. 


As we were making our way back, we found the pond where most photos of Angkor Wat was taken with the reflection on the water. There are many photographers that offers to take a photo of you for 1USD. If you just see where they stand, you can just go there and take a similar photo on your phone for free :P


I love the colours of the photo above. 
And the lack of colours of the photo below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments