Friday, September 6, 2024

Siem Reap - First Day Dinner


After checking in and settling down, we headed out to find dinner. The receptionist told us we can turn left and walk down to find some local food, and find we did! We saw a few options along the way, but when we came across this meat broth soup, everyone more or less collectively agreed we were having out dinner here! Lol.


I wasn't even sure what meat it was. Probably pork or beef. Luckily I didn't really minded what I ate. The soup was slightly more oily than a normal vietnamese pho soup, but it was still delicious, and very affordable. 


And I just love the cut cat bowl they serve the soup in!


This is the nice lady who sold the soup. She spoke good English. Actually, almost everyone I met could speak or understood English. To be honest, I thought Cambodia would be quite tough to navigate and travel through, but I was pleasantly wrong. 


After dinner, we walked back to the hotel and came across a bbq store. I was full and didn't feel like any more meat. But when the seller said the magic word "liver", I immediately said yes I would like some! Lol. Bbq liver was a rare find!


We ended up having two beef and two liver stick to try, while my friend ordered a whole lot more. It was delicious! It was so good that we ate it again the next day. I super love the bbq liver and still think about it often. First impression of food in Cambodia? Delicious and affordable! I was looking forward to more delicious food. I have compiled a long list of food I wanted to try on this trip. 


After snacking, it was still early and I didn't really want to go back to the hotel yet. It was so bright, so we decided to walk down the streets and maybe find the main road where most of the shops were. It was a lovely walk, and I love the neighbourhood. I love that there were so many kids playing outside, and that neighbours were just sitting outside in the streets chatting. I love it that when I smile at people, they smile back at me. I love that the road was wide, and that the dogs on the street was friendly. It's not often I feel totally comfortable in a foreign country instantly, but I felt very much at home in Siem Reap. From the first encounter of the Grab driver coordinator at the airport, to the hotel receptionist, to the food vendors. There was just something very familiar and welcoming about the people here that was hard to described. It felt almost like home, like I belong.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments