Sunday, September 1, 2024

Day Trip to Alor Setar by Train


Ever since travelling by train to Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur, I've been thinking of exploring more train station town around Malaysia. I've wanted to travel to Alor Setar to visit a traditional market there after seeing it in some Youtube video, but have never gotten around to it. When a friend came to visit me in Penang in August, and asked me what I wanted to do if we were to spend a day together, I told him I wanted to go Alor Setar, lol. After all, I've already took him to the major sights of Penang, I thought it would be fun to take a ferry and a train to another town to explore. Worst scenario, I would get to checked off Alor Setar from my to-visit list! So on a bright sunny Monday, we meet at the ferry terminal at 9am to start our day trip. I've gotten the ferry tickets and train tickets beforehand. We were gonna take the Komuter Utara train to our destination. Our train was at 1035am from Butterworth. Easy peasy!


The train was a slow 1hr and 45 mins ride, and the view was of paddy fields as Kedah was the rice bowl of Malaysia. Near Gurun station, you could also admire the view of Gunung Jerai. The train was surprisingly crowded, even for a weekday. When we arrived at the station, I took a souvenir shot of the flags outside the train station. I like capturing state flags and country flags in photography whenever I am in a new place. 


Walking to town was an interesting adventure. There wasn't any clear sign except this covered walkway. My travel sense told me to just follow the walkway, even though I wasn't as confident that I was headed the right direction. My GPS was also giving me mixed signal. We finally asked someone, and continued on our way down the covered path that really lead to town. 


There were a few places around town that I wanted to explore, and everything was within walking distance. Except I wasn't too sure of the direction as I didn't do much planing before hand. I was just quite happy to wander around town. But I guess my friend was more goal oriented. I wanted to hit Pekan Rabu, Dataran Alor Setar, and the Royal Museum of Kedah. All three places was public and free. I would have loved to visit the house of Dr M too, but it was closed on Monday. Maybe another trip? I have pondered to actually visit Alor Setar one day and spend a night there before going to Kuala Kedah to take a ferry to Langkawi. Future trip! 


Nothing much to see. There was a run down heritage cafe along the way. We went in on our way back and could see some renovation going on. I guess they are gonna turn it into a coffee shop. With the improvement of KTM, a lot of smaller towns are starting to develop the areas around the train station, like Ipoh, Kluang etc. I think it's a great, cause I would love to explore more around these small stations, instead of ending up in the middle of nowhere and having to take a grab to the nearest town.... Urban planning is not one of Malaysia's strong point.....


One of the building that I found interesting when we reached the town center. I assume this is a housing flat? But it has Daulat Tuanku on it. Was it a public housing? Was life different living in a state that has a Sultan or a King? Growing up in Penang, I have no idea. We often felt like orphan in the states of Malaysia cause we don't have any royal family looking after us, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments