Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Siem Reap - Bayon Temple Part 2


One of the things I found myself drawn to in Cambodia are the beautiful sand stone carving. You know how in the west each sculpture has a famous artist's name tied to it, especially in Italy? Why didn't they do that to pieces here? Or in China, since I just came back from there. The craftsmanship of these is insane! It's a shame the east doesn't give more credits to their artisans. I think the art here is so much better than the west, but due to lack of "marketing"....


Same as at the first temple, there are also dancing ladies carved into the walls here, but with a different design. Again, celebrating the beautiful female form. So very elegant.


I may not have a tour guide with me, but I often eavesdrop on other tour guide. I can eavesdrop in English, Mandarin, Malay/Indonesian (although I don't detect any here), and Japanese! And it was the Japanese tour guide of someone else that mentioned that these carvings on the walls detailed the daily life of the Khmer people here, from the court dancers, to the guards and ceremonies. It was obvious of course, but he also pointed our certain area and explained what they meant, which was kinda cool. 


I recall seeing the longest mural in the Grant Palace in Bangkok and thought how cool that was. But here, similar concept, but in stones! Parade and processions, with offerings and gifts. Riding on elephants and horses, with their guards in armours and weapons.... It was basically a history book documentation on sandstone!


It was hard to view everything as the carving was from top to bottom. Some were too high up to see. But it was just so much of it! And all these were mainly just from the front of the temple walls. 


The features of the people, man, woman, child.


Even trees, fruits and flowers are carved, as do body posture. Lovely!


I also like the more simpler ones, like these row of blurred carving on some corner of the ruins. These look so authentic, so part of the day to day wear and tear. It is true you can see a lot of nicer, more well restored or preserved structures in the museum, but seeing them here, as part of a once functional piece in this temple, is so much more authentic and meaningful.


Souvenir shot of me and the dancing ladies before we end the post on Bayon Temple.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments