Saturday, August 24, 2024

NotSoSolo Trip Bangkok (June 2024) - Grand Palace Inner Ground

 

The Grand Palace, is actually pretty grand, and compact. The ground area isn't that big, but everything is placed inside of it. So it's a lot to take in when you first stepped inside. You just don't know where to start. And there are tourist everywhere, fighting for the best spot to take a photo. It was rather overwhelming! 

But to enjoy the Grand Palace with all it's grandeur, you have to slow down, and walked slowly. Cause everywhere, there was beauty that can be seen. Even on the roof of the buildings are adorned with beautiful jewels and tiles. So where was I going to start? Well, thankfully, I found a corner where there was a sign that says free tour available. So I went and registered for the 10am tour. It was free! Suddenly the 500baht ticket didn't seem so expensive after all if I get a free tour guide!


Checking on the ticket, apparently the 500baht also allowed me to visit the Emerald Buddha Museum, The Textile Museum, and even a free Khon Performance! Not too bad a deal!

The tour started, and the lady in the mask above is our tour guide. Her English was fantastic, and she was rather generous in sharing her knowledge and history of the palace with us. The tour was around 1 hour, and she took us out to the outer palace as well, assuring us she will bring us back (cause once you exit, you weren't allowed to come back in on your own). She explained all the key elements of the palace, which I will try my best to replicate here. And lastly, she said that we must not miss seeing the Emerald Buddha. Apparently some independent tourist do sometimes miss it.

I was just amazed at the level of detail and decorative tiles and glasses that went into the building. Above, all the walls, the doors, were covered in glass. You can see the whole place shine when the sun is out. Sadly on that day, it was rather cloudy. Even then, you can see the shine on these buildings. It was like coloured mirrors. Truly wonderful. I felt like I was in some fairy tale kingdom. 


As mentioned earlier, even the roofs are decorated. The walls are high too! So much work has gone into it. Maybe that was what Ayutthaya looked like before all it's glory was looted from it?


There was also so much gold! These are female nymph door guardians. I think they looked so elegant. Behind it are gold stupa. There were many many of them here. 


Here is another gold stupa, supported by Monkeys and Demons. I like how edgy the photo looked. 


There were many Monkeys and Demons. And the guide explained that the Monkeys are the ones without shoes, while the Demons are the one wearing them. It is a representation of good and evil. 


Above are Garuda-like gold decoration at the walls of one of the temple's corridor. Most of the halls or temple are not opened to public. They are only opened on special occasion. For these, a photo of what is inside is usually placed at the front for visitor to have an idea what it looked like inside. 


Even in the crowd, you can still find stillness. I love this narrow view of the gold stupa with almost no one near me....


Or there ridiculously big and fat gold stupa. 


In total tourist chaos, one can still find peace, like this beautiful Buddha sitting serenely there, with just one flower ring adorning him. I do love Buddha statues.


And here is the Hermit Healer. I also love this piece. The guide said that he was the official doctor of the Buddha. Well, anything hermit resonates with me. I too am a hermit myself on most days. 


Nearer at the back of the palace, there is a beautiful jade bell hung high up in a highly decorated bell tower. This is the bell that is not often rang. It is only rang when there is a change in the head priest. And since most of the head priest live quite a healthy life and don't die young, hence it is seldom rang, lol. That was what the guide explained to us. 


And here again, a Khmer designed roof. Thai Kings were very fascinated by Khmer design, and they wanted to replicate the beauty of Angkor Wat here in the Grand Palace. When I visited this place, I couldn't quite understand why such a large nation like Thailand looked up to Cambodia so much, which to me wasn't as popular. But after visiting Angkor Wat just this month (Aug 2024),  and finally learning the history of Angkor Wat, I finally understood what the big deal was. It was both fascinating and sad for me to learn about the powerful Khmer Empire. But it is amazing how much I can learn just by travelling. My text book taught me nothing about these wonderful places. And that is why, I will never stop travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments