Tuesday, August 27, 2024

NotSoSolo Trip Bangkok (June 2024) - Grand Palace Outer Ground

And now, after seeing (almost) everything in the inner palace, I went out to the outer palace ground to explore. To be honest, I was rather anxious as I didn't know how much more time I needed to see everything. It was almost 2 hours past, and I was supposed to meet my friends for lunch, and I've yet to even enter a single museum! And I really really wanted to see the free Khon Performance! Anyway, above is the outer ground grand building. It is like a state hall, used for state building. The King wanted to build something European like, but decided last minute that he wanted Thai style roof! Hence this is what you get, as explained by the guide....


Personally, I think Thai architecture is so much more beautiful than western style building. Eastern art is so much more fine and elegant. Granted I do like some western art, but my heart, is pure proud eastern in nature!


Stone walk ways, with western arch. I took this shot from the toilet area looking into the gardens. No, I didn't go to the toilet. It just happens to look like a nice walk into the arch.....And I wasn't wrong.... I love these kinda arch looking out kinda photo. I took many, in many places too! You will see one soon again! In my Alor Setar post coming up soon!


Above is a parking spot. Yup, I would never have guess that either. It is apparently an elephant parking spot. And you can alight or board an elephant at such stopped. I know that now thanks to the free tour guide!


I also wandered around on my own, even though I was short on time, and I saw these beautiful doors that reminded me of India somehow. Or maybe Turkish? Everything here is so whimsical. It's like I travelled back in time! I just love it.


Next to the official building, there is a super thai style building. I think this are places where royal bodies are placed when they pass on. I think the building is so beautiful. I think people should be proud of their own culture. Cause there is only one Thai culture, and they should be proud and preserve it, cause that's what make Thailand, well, Thai!


A wider view of the buildings.


I like this beautiful Garuda on the roof. Interestingly, I also took a kinda similar photo of the same thing, but made of sandstone, in one of the temple in Angkor. So much similarity. They both looked like they are gonna take flight anytime soon!


Speaking of Angkor, again, you can see a lot of influences in the outer ground too. Like these white side doors, build in Khmer style.


Another side door, with the 4 faces of Brahma, just like the temples in Angkor.


Finally, I reached my first museum! And there was a garuda-like thing on top of it too. 


It was the Emerald Buddha Museum, and I rushed thru it. The main thing I wanted to see was the gold clothes of the Buddha. The Emerald Buddha has three gold clothes he wears, depending on the season. So when he wears one, the other two is actually kept here. And since it's made of gold, it's behind security lock too! Fascinating. It was also here that I decided I wanted to go watch the Khon Performance. So I texted my friend to go ahead with lunch without me. I would meet them after their lunch at around 2pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments