Friday, August 23, 2024

NotSoSolo Trip Bangkok (June 2024) - Breakfast and Ferry Ride to Grand Palace


I was excited that I was finally going to visit the 2nd item on my bucket list for this trip, the Grand Palace. My original plan was to rush there as early as possible to see the sunrise, or at least beat the crowd of tourist that might be there. But my friend wanted to go along as well, and the breakfast place we wanted to go to only opens at around 730am. Since it was my favourite hot soya milk breakfast, I obliged. We also ordered some fried dough to accompanied the soya milk. I tell you, I still think about that soya milk till today. I hope I can find similar soya milk in China when I go on my journey to the East soon!


After breakfast, we took a 5 minutes walk to a local pier, paid 5baht (yes, 5 baht) to take the ferry across to the bigger ferry pier, Sathorn Ferry Port. Above is the view of the bridge that connects the two area via road, but taking the ferry is also an option if there is a traffic jam. Bangkok traffic jam is no joke! 


Just slightly adjacent to the smaller pier, is the bigger Sathorn Ferry Port, where you can get almost all the lines of ferry there, including those touristy ferries that goes to the main attraction. It was easy enough, as there are people waving at you and asking you where you want to go. We got our tickets, and got on a touristy ferry that goes directly (with fewer stops anyway) to the Grand Palace pier.  It was fully aircon, and makes a lousy photo opportunity as there are windows that reflect back glares. But I tried my best anyway.....And below are all the photos NOT taken from the ferry! Hahahaha. I ain't gonna waste my battery and space for bad photos!


The pier to get off for the Grand Palace was Tha Chang Pier. From there, it's just a short walk to the Grand Palace. You could hardly miss the way as almost all the tourist would be headed in the same direction. 


I stood at the pier a while to take some decent photographs. The view across the river was actually very iconic. I especially like the above view, with the Thai flag, and thai structured buildings etc. I wonder what that place was. I think I googled it and it was a kind of temple. I will go visit it the next time I am back in Bangkok! The statue of a giant monk sitting there also intrigued my interest, lol. 


Walking towards the entrance of the Grand Palace. You can see some escalators on the right of the photo. So there is actually an underground walkway linking the pier area to the palace gate. I guess it's used when it rains? Given I choice, I would always pick the outdoors to walk in. My sense of direction can get pretty messed up when I'm underground. But to hide from the sun and the heat, or even snow in colder countries, underground is the way to go!


Nearer to the entrance, I saw the portrait of the King, and some offerings in front of it. Uniquely Thai!


And finally, I was inside the palace ground! Almost 930am! 1 hour after the official opening time. Needless to say, it was crawling with tourist, mainly Mainland Chinese. The entrance for foreigner was 500baht. For locals, they can just enter for freeeeeeee........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments