Monday, June 10, 2024

Solo Trip Nagoya (August 2023) - Nagoya 1st Day Lunch, Dinner and Hotel


After visiting Flight of Dreams, I headed to the train station to figure out how to get to town. Luckily everything was well marked. 


Finally found the train I wanted. No need 1st class for me. It's still early in the morning, I'm pretty sure I'll get seats. I got two Suica card with me, and since there was no top up machine at the station (you can top up at the FamilyMart), I use a vending machine to check the values on my cards. After that, I paid cash for my train ticket. Interestingly, there are topup machine once you enter the platform area...... Onwards to Nagoya!


Reached Nagoya in less than an hour, and oh my god, I hate Nagoya Station! I got so lost in there cause everything is just marked as Nagoya Station, whether it's JR, subway or their local trains. I was pretty lost inside for the first few days! One of the worst station I've ever encountered in all my trips in Japan! I actually went to drop my luggage at my hotel first, but can't check in till 2pm. I told them I will be back around 3pm or so. It was a Chinese own hotel/hostel. I was able to get away with speaking mandarin :)


I made my way to my first retro restaurant for lunch. It was a Friday, and I wanted to try their set lunch. It was today or never, cause the other days I would probably too busy with other activities to be able to make it for their set lunch, which was only available on weekdays. Above, the giant tall statue was one of the attraction of Nagoya Station.


Finally found the cafe, about 15mins walk from the train station. It was called Leon (so french!), and the sign was next to one of my favourite steak house in Japan! Ikinari Steak. I always buy their sauce when I see, it so that I can cook my steak at home and be reminded of the shop. The very first time I had it was actually at Hokkaido....


I really didn't feel like speaking Japanese on my first day, maybe cause I haven't had enough sleep, and my brain was slightly foggy. So I took a photo of what I wanted to eat, and went into the shop to show it to the waiter. Easy enough!


It was a super retro restaurant/cafe. So retro that smoking was actually allowed in here. Actually, a lot of pubs, cafe etc in Japan allows smoking. But I really wanted to eat here, so I didn't mind. Some solo diners, and a few tables of SalaryMan on their lunch break was also dining here. It wasn't that crowded. I even had a table all to myself. I felt a bit guilty since I was alone. Perhaps I should have taken the solo seats instead? How unthoughtful of me! But again, lack of sleep syndrome. Couldn't function as elegant as I wish I could!


I ordered the Red Miso Katsu Set Lunch. Nagoya is famous for their red miso katsu. I felt fortunate to be able to have this on my very first day. For 8.50sgd or so, it was within my budget, and a lovely meal. I love the rice in Japan. They filled me up just nice. The only problem was, it was rather salty as I found myself thirsty throughout the day. 

After lunch, I actually went to visit Noritake Garden, but I will post that separately. After the visit, I finally made myself back to the hotel, probably around 5pm or so.


My hotel was just behind the train station, but maybe 10 to 15 minutes walk away, and hidden in a side alley. It was actually at the second storey of a shop house, and I had trouble finding it. Mainly, it was scary to know which door to walk into cause I wasn't really sure. But once I found it, it was ok after that. It was a quiet alley, so it didn't felt like I was in a tourist place.


Here's what my single room looked like. I really like the window that lets in so much natural light.


Here's a different view. I didn't use the TV, but I did use the fridge. I love that I can blast the aircon cause it was summer. The walls were thin and I could hear phone conversation from next day that one night someone was staying there. There was no toilet attached. I had to go outside to the shared toilet at the end of the corridor. But it was relatively clean, and I didn't really bumped into any guest while I was staying there. It was rather cheap, perhaps 25sgd a night? It was called Choukou Hotel. And I have booked to stay there just 2 days cause I wasn't sure if I would like it there. 


While on the way back from Noritake Garden, I had stopped by an Aeon supermarket and tabao-ed my dinner back. I got the energy drink for free, a promotional give away outside Nagoya Station. I saw people just walking up to get a free drink, so I followed suit and got myself a weird tasting caffeine powered drink! Tasted more like medicine than anything! Lol. I didn't get any fresh sushi cause Noritake Garden was like a 20minutes walk from Nagoya Station, and add on 10 minutes to get to the hotel, in the summer heat! No thanks! No food poisoning for me thank you. I've just landed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments