Saturday, May 4, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Tainan Human Rights Museum, Library and Old Photo Shop Exhibit


After visiting the Confucius Temple, I still had some time, so I walked around town, and found another free museum! It was called The Human Rights Museum. I didn't even knew such a museum existed. But it was free, and it has aircon! So in I went, to learn more about how passionate Taiwanese were about their freedom to fight for their country, their views, and well, their rights. By the way, Taiwan is LGBT friendly, and it is shown proudly on the streets of Ximending, all the way to the Art Pier of KaohSiung, you can find the rainbow zebra crossing there :)  


Here in this museum, again wordings play the center stage. Wordings from leaders and democratic fighters of the country are proudly displayed in vibrant colours of clothe. I read them, and I think about my own country, and I kinda weep..... Such is life anyway....


 At least people here fight for what they believe it...


I have mixed feeling about democracy. I do vote. And I do observe democracy being practised around the world. And I recall one of my China's friend who thinks democracy is a dumb way to rule a country, cause not everyone who vote is capable of making a wise decision. In someways, I look at my own country, and I do agree with him... It is ideal. It has it's assumptions. It is not perfect. Maybe one day, we will get there?


I thought the whole building was the Human Rights Museum. Turns out I was wrong. On the second floor, there was a colourful exhibit of an old photo shop. A very nostalgic exhibit too. 


Apparently there was an old photography shop that is either closing down or going through a renovation. So in order to preserve the olden days memories, they replicate everything here on the second floor, so people will remember the store as it is, preserving a piece of history of Tainan. 


 I can relate to this nostalgic place. Penang has an old fashion photo shop where everyone would go have their photos taken, for IC, for passport, for school magazine etc. It's where you sit, and the camera is old fashion and flashes like a lightning bolt. and it's screen display is inverted. 


Back in those days, I guess studio shots are also a thing? I never had one done. I don't see the point of taking a photo of yourself in a setup room. But I know some ladies do dress up and take such photos to preserve their youth, lol. I've never been one comfortable in front of a camera. I rather be behind it. 


Some old equipments of the dark room?


A black and white photo of the actual shop, with an old bike and old camera carrying case.


Monochromatic photos. I think I have a collection of this on my blog too. Will link it here when I found it.


And lastly, there was a children's library in the same building too. And they have a water cooler and clean toilet here. So I freshen up and refilled my water here before heading out into the summer sun again in search of Hayashi Department Store! So many side trips just waiting for the store to open! That's the magic of traveling on your own and exploring places are your own leisure pace. Every step is an adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments