Sunday, July 21, 2024

Solo Trip Nagoya (August 2023) - Domatsuri Part 1


Besides the Hirokoji Dori Matsuri which was held a week ago, there was also the Domatsuri Dance Festival being held the following week. I felt really lucky that I get to experience two different festival in my two weeks trip! What were the odds of that. Domatsuri was a street festival held all over Nagoya's Sakae district all the way down to the other end of the park. The nearest to my hotel was at Oasis 21 building. Above is what the place looked like. Pretty futuristic spaceship kind of design. 


It was a great place to held it there cause people could just stand around at ground level looking down at the stage. The place was spacious, and great viewing. I stood at the perimeter bridge structure looking down. Lots of photographers were also around practising their art. 


This was my first Domatsuri, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Watching it, it kinda reminded me of university rag show where there are dances, music and props and costume done up by different hostels or faculties. Here in Nagoya, it was done up mainly by the different universities in Japan. And the costume were amazing. Each unique for their own group, and the props too!


There was also a lot of flag waiving, which kinda reminded me of Ching-Gay. But many of them uses the flag like a backdrop of a stage, changing the scenes, or letting the dances getting ready behind it etc. 


There was definitely a lot of energy coming from all the dance group. Lot's of cheering and shouting. 


I also saw a dance group from Taiwan. Seeing how Taiwan is always so close to Japan, it wasn't that much a surprise. But it was still nice seeing them there and seeing the crowd cheering for them.


My favourite performance was from Hokkaido University.


And this was the reason why, lol. It was almost shocking for me. Their performances was very energetic, but when they start stripping down to their underwear, I was kinda shocked. But this was Japan, where being naked in onsen was just normal. Plus, the guys were all so thin and pale! I saw the same dance twice, once here, and another time further down the park. They must have stripped a lot the whole night! So the dance group actually performed at one location, and then walk all the way (carrying all their props), to the next venue and repeat their performances again! It was must exhausting. It was after all, summer! But they were all so professional! Below are just some short video clips of their performance. I didn't upload the stripping part, as I didn't feel right uploading it on my youtube channel, lol. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments