Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Solo Trip Nagoya (August 2023) - Otsukaya Fabric Shopping and Meals for the Day


One of my must do thing when I am in Japan (besides going to bookstore), is visiting fabric hobby shop! And my researched says there is a 4 storey shop around 30mins walk from my hotel. So of course I marched there to Otsukaya! I wasn't expecting much, since it was so out of town. But I think I spend 2 hours there! It was located in quite a quiet neighbourhood, so I felt like I was one of the locals just spending a day there. There are a few things I realised makes me look like a local no matter where I am, one is an umbrella, one is a recycle bag. Both are considered international aunty items! Hahahaha.


For breakfast before my long walk, I ate a curry fried bun from my favourite bakery in Nagoya! I wanted to buy it from another restaurant near the station, but they didn't seem interested to entertain take-away customer, so I didn't manage to buy any from there. 


Anyway, back to the craft store. The top storey was filled with hobby and craft items. Some I've never seen before. For instance, above are ceramic tiles! People actually buy them for decoration and other art projects! And there were so many varieties, shapes, and sizes! I was pretty mind blown.


There was also these miniature photo frame craft. You can buy all the tiny items individually, or in a box kit.


Lot's of cross stitch and embroidery craft sets too.


Fabric patch kits!


I don't even know what these are and I want to make them!


The rest of the store was dedicated to fabric. they have really branded cloth like Marimekko. 


And they have lots of character fabrics too, from the more affordable ones, to the more branded expensive ones. I mainly come to Japan for these. They have the best selection, and I always buy some home.


I saw these origami bags that was so elegant and beautiful. The sewed ones were pretty expensive. The cloth alone was expensive, as it was of the expensive type with beautiful embroidery. They do sell the patterns so that you can buy and bring home to make one yourself. But I was so stingy that I didn't want to spend money on the pattern. For a single piece of paper, they can sell for around 800yen..... But I do so love these bags!


After shopping at the fabric store till noon, I slowly walked back to town, and since it was nearing the end of my trip, I decided to treat myself to a sit in meal. I was also thinking it wasn't that cool to say I was solo travelling, but always having my meals in my hotel room. So in some shopping mall upstairs where the restaurants are, I decided that I wanted to eat some fish and rice. I found the above restaurant and went in.


By this time, it was quite late, maybe 2pm+, so I got a whole table for myself. The waiter serving me was actually Indian, or maybe Nepalese? But we conversed in Japanese. I ordered coke too. It came without ice, so I also requested a cup of ice. I have just walked the whole morning, closed to 3 hours, and was dehydrated! The rice and the fish really hits the spot, as does the ice coke! I took my time enjoying my sit down meal. After which I continued on more window shopping, before buying dinner back to eat.


As the weather was hot, I just have a simple cold somen salad. 


Here was the damaged from the fabric store. I told myself I would only spend maybe 50sgd in the store.  The green cloth cost me only 3sgd a meter. I love the retro color and the very old style Japanese design. The rest was spend on Miffy cloth! Lol. I wasn't allowed to buy any Moomin cloth cause I still have many at home from my past trips!


Here is what I did with the green cloth. I actually use it to sew a practise origami bag last year. I love it so much that it has become my carry on bag whenever I'm back in Singapore. Although it looks kinda small, it is super spacious and can carry a lot of things! I even used it to carry my library books sometimes, but only when I am returning, not during borrowing.... hehe. The Miffy charm is from my husband, who got it for me from Korea Airport. He said it was because I kept playing with my friend's daughter's Miffy charm on her bag the whole trip that he decided to get me one. It only cost around 9USD. I didn't know where to put it at first, but then when I saw the green origami bag, I instantly knew they below to each other. It's the color of Miffy!


The origami bag has a square base, so it can sit really well. Above is the bag, with a whole jar of cookies inside, lol. With space still left to spare! When I have time, I will make more, or maybe bigger bag. They are really handle, and strong cause they are double layered. And it's so japanese! I wish I've done the handle nicer. But it was supposed to be just a practise bag to see how it turned out. I never imagined that I would love it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments