Monday, July 8, 2024

Solo Trip Nagoya (August 2023) - Port of Nagoya


Next day trip I did was to Port of Nagoya. I went super early via train to get there. The train line was a bit tricky as there was a circular line, yet you have to stop at a certain station to transfer to another line of the same name that brings you to Port of Nagoya. Even with the challenges, and the rush hour, I still managed to get there early. Almost an hour early at least :D.  I wanted to check out the place and find out how I can make the most of my day there. I wanted to visit multiple places here, and I needed to know what was the fastest and most efficient path to get from one place to another before the attraction closes. To top that challenge, I also have to align it with the aquarium performance timing so that I don't miss any shows. This is the first time I am visiting an aquarium that has dolphin and orca show. I am not a fan of attractions with captive animals, but I'm making an exception here cause it was quite a well known aquarium. Did I mentioned once I was in Wakayama and wanted to visit the infamous Taiji Aquarium that was featured in the movie The Cove? Sadly there was no train there that day, and I had to pass :(


So what are the places I wanted to visit at Port of Nagoya? Well, there was this Fuji Ice Breaker ship, an expedition and research ship to the Antarctica. Because of this ship, I decided to get the combination ticket that allowed me to visit this ship, the aquarium, and the Maritime Museum and Observatory Deck. Above is the Fuji ship, and at the back is where the aquarium is. 


And here is the photo showing the Observatory Deck building at the left. The Maritime Museum was at the lower floor of the same building. And Fuji Ship just next to it. So you see,  it was going to be some station game shit I have to do to visit all the place, time it with the best view of the day, as well as the animal show at the aquarium. Heck, I even packed snacks in my bags so that I can skip lunch for this obstacle race! 


A selfie before the madness begin....


Here is a close up view of the aquarium at the other side of the port.


There was a beautiful emerald looking sculpture in front of it. I didn't notice it a first, but you can see the orca swimming as part of the sculpture. It is about sea life being in touch together with humans. I thought it was quite a meaningful piece of art.


As I was exploring the port area, there were also some interesting sights to be found, like this African Penguin sculpture.


Or this adorable penguin post box! 


And at the back of the aquarium, quite easily missed if you don't really have time to explore the area, are the cute mascots of Nagoya Port! They were so adorable! Dressed in their cute sailor uniform and hats. 


Here's me with a selfie with them. I super love the one that looks like he is jumping with his hat's flying off. >_<


Lastly, in the evening, there is a fair ground you can visit at sundown with a giant ferris wheel. I don't know why Japan has so many ferris wheel. Heck I have one in front of my hotel which I can see every time I looked out of it's window. Oh wait, I haven't move to that hotel yet! Opps! Spoiler Alert.

Anyway, here was the plan I had which I tried to execute: 
Plan:
South Building: 1015am Kuroshio TankNorth Building: 1030am 
Beluga Training > 1130am 
Orca TrainingSouth Building: 1230 
Penguin Tank > 1330 
Sea Turtle TankNorth Building: 
1430H African Penguin<
<< Possible Free Time: 1445H to 1615H (1.5 hours) - 
Fuji Icebreaker,Maritime Museum and Observatory 
North Building: 1630H Beluga Training (can skip if watched in the morning)
North Building: 1630H/1900H Dolphin Training
<<<Possible Free Time: 1700H to 1845H (1.5 hours) actually see the aquarium >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments