Friday, July 19, 2024

Solo Trip Nagoya (August 2023) - Shoji 障子 Session


One of the interesting thing about this trip was, before I came, I actually searched for activities that I can join in Nagoya, to kinda meet the local. I didn't want to just be a tourist in this city. And one of the most interesting activities I found that was closed to my heart, was a Japanese chess session in Tsuruma Park. It was opened to anyone who wanted to learn or play Japanese Chess Shoji. It was a 2 hour session, and there was a 500yen fee for foreigner. I thought that was a good activity to join, since I love playing international chess. So I signed up for it. Shoji was relatively new to me. It should be fun! The session was held at a Civil Center Building at the park, so I walked there, around 30mins walk? Lol. Will post about the park after this post. Above was the building. I realised that in Nagoya, all these beautiful old buildings were turned into a kind of community center. And it was such a great idea to do that cause the building was preserved, and people have a place to gather for activities. 


When I got there that Saturday, I was not surprised to see mainly kids inside. There were a few man, and some younger ladies too. The person in charged welcome me, and seeing that I was a female, also introduced me to another mother of a kid to kinda take care of me. Materials on how to play Shoji was given to me in a nice folder. In the website, it says they will teach you. But at that session, I was paired with a 8 year old guy to play with. Luckily, I have looked up how to play Shoji the night before! So it wasn't so bad. It took me a lot of time to remember the moves of each pieces though. And the kid Hira-kun was very patient with me. Luckily I could communicate with him with my simple Japanese. It was tougher to talk to the mother. Of course, I lost the game with him.


Interestingly, Shoji board can also be used to play other games! Hira-kun and another kid teaches me how to play two more games with them, and I truly enjoyed myself playing with them. It was fun. I guess some people might feel weird playing with kids, and might even take it in a bad way? But I grew up playing chess. I was always surrounded by kids. Some of the kids I knew could make a man tremble in fear when they play chess with them. I never underestimate a kid when it comes to board games :) I did managed to win one of the non-Shoji game with Hira-kun :)  And that was enough win for me! Hahaha.


Above is the cheat sheet I kept referring to when I play. There were just more rules to remember! And sometimes, the kid will forget to tell me some of the rules! So I was so glad I read up before I went for this session. At the end of the two hour, I thank everyone that I interacted with, and wanted to pay my 500yen fees. But the mothers at the club said that there was no need. I felt bad. So when I thank the organised, Yanase-san, I pass him the money as agreed, and he accepted. It was a Saturday well spent for me! If you are interested, you can check out the reference link below.


After the session, Yanase-san actually sent me two photos of me playing that day! I love it very much cause I could now remember all the nice people I met there. I am the lady in black, and Hira-kun is the kid opposite me. He was super cute! The mother is the lady standing next to me. And the boy in white next to me also join us for some fun non-Shoji game. The two kids were hilarious and I had a lot of fun with them. I am glad I went, even if it was just one session. 


Ref:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments