Sunday, April 17, 2016

Waffle Mania

For some odd reason, I started having waffle craving early this year, and have this urge to eat waffles like every week. Sometimes I even have them twice a week. And it was pretty expensive to eat them in the cafe, sometimes costing as much as over SGD15 per plate! So I decided to borrow a waffle machine (cause I'm down sizing my life, which means I stopped buying material stuff), and decided to see how hard it was to make your own waffles. I love those crunchy kind of waffles, but I don't like to put too much artificial stuff inside to make it crunchy, so that was one of my biggest challenge. Luckily that did not stop me from trying, cause hell, this is my 3rd weekend making waffles so far! And this post is in real-time too, which shows how excited I am about waffles!

Below is a photo of all the ingredient  you need for a basic waffle batter

2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil (butter)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
4 teaspoons baking powder   
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract  

And above is the production line this morning. I woke at around 6am to start making them. The above ingredien made about 12 squares of waffles. To make them crunchy, the secret is to beat the egg white separately like a meringue, and then fold it in gentle. And although the waffle machine will say the waffles are ready in 3 minutes or so, I make mine with 6 to 7 machines to dry them up so that they are crunchy. Eat them hot and with any decorative fruits you like. I make them in batches to store in the fridge so that I can eat them whenever I like. Just put them in a toaster for 5 minutes and they are ready to eat. Easy Peasy! 
Usually I eat mine with fruits, mainly bananas and strawberries. I cover them in either condense milk or maple syrup. Sometimes add chocolate chips as well as per photo below. I wanted to make scramble eggs, bacon and sauté mushroom this morning, but since I was meeting my brother for steak during lunch time, I thought maybe next time (meaning later this evening for dinner probably...). Anyway, I've been searching for waffle recipe and what else you can make with your waffle machines, and it resulted in amazing ideas! Hope I get to explore them all slowly every weekend! I already have my potatoes ready to make rosti!
Here's a cute nyah cat chocolate chip square I made for a snack. I've been on a waffle diet for the past 3 weeks! I'll eat a square or two for breakfast or dinner/supper, and its surprisingly filling. Probably because I use all fresh ingredient, and lots of fruits. I also saved tonnes of money cause each batter is actually quite cheap to make, and found myself eating more fruits than I normally would. Some would say I'm eating too much sweets, but actually, pure maple syrups are not really that fattening, and I just love the tube of condense milk I got from my last trip to Taipei! Will definitely get another tube the next time I'm there! 
Above is a photo why I can't seems to drag myself to a Starbucks or cafe to do my work. (work here refers to studying my 日本語, or updating my blog etc). My home is just so much more comfortable and cosy. Plus I get free flow of food, unlimited internet, can blast my music as loud as I want, and surrounded with everything I love. Yes, I'm a severe introvert. Even my new MacBook (which I've baptised Mackus a.k.a. Macky for short) can't drag me away from home even thought it did tried once with me ending up using my laptop on my lap in the airport which was so freaking crowded on a Saturday night!

I don't know why, but blog entries using my new Macky seems to be longer these days. Why do I have so much to say??? Anyway, leaving this here in case anyone wants to be inspired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments