Sunday, July 9, 2017

A Little Taste of Travel - Vietnamese Coffee and Truffle Honey Toast


Have been travelling non-stop since end of April 2017: first to Taipei for production support, then to Vietnam for workshop, and just came back from Italy for an opera trip. Well today is the first leisure Sunday I have since I got back. So I decided to enjoy it at home, doing the things I love: making things, creating things :)
I started off the morning making Vietnamese drip coffee. The coffee in Vietnam was amazing while I was there. It was thick and strong, and elegant in their preparation. So I got myself a drip coffee set, with a Vietnamese pottery cup as well as a souvenir, and decided to try making it this morning. 



I followed the instruction to the tee, and wasn't getting my hopes too high up as my colleagues already told me he couldn't get the taste he wanted. But me being me, measure everything as per instructed, and waited 6 minutes for it to drip down to the beautiful cup. This resulted in only half a cup. But when I took a look and saw the thick colour of the black coffee, I was already pleased with myself. Taste wise, it didn't disappoint either, although it was a bit bitter than I expected (probably because I just came back from Italy where the coffee was just so creamy and delicious). Anyway, it was thick and strong, and after drinking it first thing in the morning, I could feel my blood pumping, and my stomach fats and left over food melting away! Oh yeah, I had that cup of coffee on an empty stomach first thing in the morning! And it was Wow! 

So that was Good Morning Vietnam!

In the evening, I decided to have a light dinner, and I made toast with truffle honey. I fell in love with truffle honey when I first tasted it in an Italian buffet in Regency Hotel Singapore. Why this goes undiscovered myself for the first 40 years of my life is beyond me! In fact, my recent trip to Italy was more or less a truffle hunting trip. And today was the first time I tried the produce I bought back. It was fragrant, and lovely. Light, and sweet, and simple. So much love.

I'll be on a look out for truffle recipe. I've got a bag of potatoes in my kitchen just waiting to be turn into truffle fries. I got bottles of truffle oil, truffle balsamic, and truffle glaze. I wish I could stay home one whole month doing nothing but cook everyday. I would love that so much! But until I retire from work, I guess that's kinda hard to do. So I'm just going to enjoy my little weekend of small awesomeness.

All these happens at the right and wrong time. I needed the above to pull though the depressing feeling that I have been having since I came back from Vietnam. Action, is the antidote to despair. I will keep myself busy and pull through this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments