Sunday, July 19, 2020

Kyoto Sept 2019 : Kiyomizudera Small Fox Shrine



Walking down from the waterhole, it leads you to winding green path down and down to the exit. After seeing the main attraction, most people hurry down to exit and get on with the other Kyoto sites which I am sure they have filled up their touristy program with. Me? I am in no hurry to go anywhere till the late afternoon. So when I saw a side path that leads so what looks like minor shrines, off I would go to follow the trail! I am used to wondering in the woods of Japan and discovering beautiful shrines that feels like only you know off. It's a fun thing to do. And it makes the journey your personal own!


This one was a fox shrine. And for some reason, nobody goes in to pay a visit. But the ground was well maintained in the sense that it was well swept and clean. Nothing funny or eerie about the feel, so my sense tells me that it was ok to proceed on.


Inside the main ground was a terracotta style carving of a fox deity. Again, the round all over was well kept. And it was just beautiful, peaceful here. 


Wondering around the area, at the back I found more little shrine. The doors are closed as the deity are probably sleeping. But the beautiful fox porcelain guarding the shrine was well worth the extra effort to walk behind the ground. The figurines are so elegantly done. 


On the ground at the back, there were also these stone marking. I don't think they are tombs, but I could be wrong. But again, well kept, and felt peaceful about this place. Everything just look respectful about this place. And it was a very nice feeling to be surrounded by all these :)  I'm glad I wander off the beaten path for this. How many people actually saw this on their trip to Kiyomizudera? Always take time to explore when you are travelling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments