Sunday, June 28, 2009

Kiam Chye Buey

It's been a long time since I blog a recipe, and seeing today's a Sunday, I thought it would be nice to put up a traditional Peranakan recipe today. I cook this dish some time back, and have always wanted to blog it down to share, and also to document it. It's a traditional dish in my family, and my Mum usually only cooks it once a year during Chinese New Year. So here's a recipe for my 2nd favorite peranakan dish - Kiam Chye Buey (Salty Vegetable Soup). In Singapore, it is also known as Itek Tim (Duck Boiled Soup), but I haven't learn the art of cooking duck yet.



Cooking Instruction:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then add in the salty vegetable, together with the crush nugmet to boil for 10 minutes. (Try to get fresh Penang Nutmeg)
2. Add in the chicken next, mushrooms, and onions next and let it cook for 30 - 40 minutes. (For a more elaborate dish, you can also add in any other meat. Pork knuckles goes very well in this dish!)
3. Add in the tomatoes last, and let it cook for a further 20 minutes.
4. Done! Serve with rice. Give it a kick by adding dash of brandy or sake before serving. Also goes best with Penang Sambal Belacan :)

Easiest and tastiest recipe!

Ref:
Peranakan
Nugmet
Itek Tim Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments