Friday, November 20, 2009

DING DING GALE (KAHWIN LARI) by Sudirman

I found this on youtube while searching for some Malay songs, and I just can't resist sharing it in my blog. This is one of my favorite Malay 'MTV' when I was young! I even have it in my VCR long long time ago! Just watch it and you'll see why. It would also help a lot if you know Malay, but no worries, I shall attempt to translate it for you! (another day perhaps... )



DING DING GALE (KAHWIN LARI)
(Sudirman)

ding a ding gale
minah anak pak mat kole (Minah, daughter of Pak Mat Kole)
mahu bikin tunang (The girl I want to marry)
tapi banyak yang menghalang (but there are too many obstacle to my goal)

dari kuala lumpur (so from KL)
mahu pergi pulau pinang (I went to Penang)
hati dalam ingat (in my heart I have one wish)
mahu masuk meminang (and that is to be engage to Minah)

sampai pulau pinang (when I reach Penang)
sibuk sini sibuk sana (it was such a busy city)
jumpa sama pak mat (I went to see Pat Mat straight away)
dia tolak mentah2 (And he rejected my proposal)
ingat mahu kahwin lari (Because he taught I would marry and run away with his daughter)
sama minah sudah pakat (But I've already made arrangement with Minah to get married)
belum sampai sungai petani (So we run away, but before reach Sungai Petani)
kami sudah kena tangkap (we were caught)

kereta pun ditahan (Our car was stopped)
polis periksa seluruh badan (And the police search our body)
belum habis periksa (But before they could finish their search)
saya lari lintang pukang (I run away as quickly as I can)

larilah punya lari (Run and run I did)
orang cakap serupa hantu (People would say I look as pale as a ghost)
kalau masuk sport (If I were to be in a sporting event)
tentu saya nombor satu (I'm sure I'll get first!)
nasib saya kurang baik (But my luck ran out soon)
sudah langgar sama batu (And I tripped over a brick)
polis mari tangkap baju (And the police caught me by my shirt)

bila dah kena tangkap (When I was arrested)
kami dibawa ke balai polis (We were brought back to the police station)
sampai di balai polis (When we reach the station)
minah tak henti menangis (Minah couldn't stop crying)
terus saya dipasang gari (I was handcuffed)
kini duduk di kandang salah (And sat at the guilty corner)

tigalah paku tanya (The 3 star Sargent ask me)
kenapa awak culik minah (Why did I kidnap Minah?)
sumpah saya cakap (I swear to him and said)
dia yang ikut saya (It was she who followed me!)
minah dengar naik radang (When Minah heard that she flew into a rage)
muka merah macam udang (Her face was as read as a prawn)
dia terpekik terajang
katanya saya temberang

hari bicara sudah pun sampai (The day of the trial arrived)
saya didapati bersalah (And I was found guilty)
rumahlah hai tiga tingkat (I was sent to a house with 3 storeys)
hai pintu beratus ribu (And a thousand doors)
memberlah punya ramai (With many members)
tapi semua nak keluar dulu (That which to get out before me)

kesallah punya kesal (Regret I did)
duduk bilik makan roti (Sitting in the jail eating my bread)
dada semput otak bantut (My chest in pain, my brain is numb)
kalau dah salah kena kutuk (If I am guilty, I have to be punish)

Ref:
Sudirman

2 comments:

  1. Terima kasih banyak! Sukanya saya lagu ini. Tak pernah dengar orang Melayu menyanyi macam Sudirman.

    May I ask a question? (Minta maaf--Bahasa Melayu saya kurang baik.) Are all of these lyrics considered "good Malay"? For example: bikin tunang, jumpa sama Pak Mat (not jumpa dengan?) . . . When I was in Malaysia a long time ago, I think I was told that those kinds of expressions were "bahasa pasar"? Betul tak?

    Thanks again!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, thanks for leaving a comment at my blog! And glad you like the song! As for your question, yes, it's in bahasa pasar, so you could say it's in slang, instead of the more formal Bahasa Melayu. In fact, I have no idea what Ding Ding Gale means at all! Still, it's a fun song! And Sudirman is just wonderful! I have one of his CD, and his voice is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments