Friday, June 10, 2011

Père Lachaise Cemetery

11-Nov-2010 (Thursday). It was raining. And the temperature fell till 2 to 4 degrees Celsius. This was the day I planned for us to visit our second cemetery. And before you start rolling your eyes at me, may I just add, that we were going to visit one of the most beautiful and most visited cemetery in the world? Père Lachaise Cemetery (cimetière du Père-Lachaise).
 
By the time we got there, it was raining, and the temperature dropped till 1 degree! Although I took a few photos with my camera, I found it difficult to keep my fingers from freezing! After a while, I resorted to purely use my phone as a camera :)
 
Yes. This is a cemetery. But it's a very beautiful cemetery. And perhaps I'm slightly morbid, but I totally love cemetery. There is a certain solitude, certain sadness, a certain beauty to it all. And  Père Lachaise Cemetery fits my image of a classic cemetery of my imagination. Gothic sculptures, flowers, cold and rainy weather. If it weren't so freaking cold that day, it would have been perfect!
 
There were a few dead people on my list that I wanted to visit. And it wasn't easy finding them as the wordings on the grave were kinda hard to read, and the "address" were jumping all over. But we managed to find them all :) There were also a few people there just grave hunting, so we kinda follow the crowd. The very first grave was the hardest to find, but as we got a hang of it, we cleared the cemetery by lunch time.

Here are the graves of the people on my list that day:

Oscar Wilde - Writer/Poet.Play writer (16 October 1854 – 30 November 1900)
Yes, those are lipsticks and graffiti on his tombstone. And yes, that is his tombstone!
Chopin - Pianist/Composer ( 22 February or 1 March 1810 – 17 October 1849)
  My favorite piece from him


And lastly, Jim Morrison from the Doors - Singer ((December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971). I have no idea who he was, but I promised a friend that I would take a photo of his grave for him.
Ref:
Père Lachaise Cemetery wiki
Père Lachaise Cemetery virtual tour
Oscar Wilde
Chopin
Jim Morrison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments