Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ubud Culture

Most of the people in Ubud are Hindus, and spiritualism runs high here. Day in day out, offerings(puja) and prayers take place. It's a rather graceful gesture to watch the offering being made, mostly by the women dressed in their traditional clothing. Offerings are found on every road side everywhere you go.
Night time religions procession was also quite common. Here one we saw while we were waiting for our cultural show to start.
Another one while we drove past a village towards Jimbaran. A village religious police in the black and white sarong directing the traffic as worshiper walked past us.
The closest I encounter the local festival was when I was on my own and wondered into the market area one day as Dewa had told me not to go home early as there was renovation going on at the Homestay. The market was packed that day! I even saw performances and people queuing up outside the temple waiting to provide their offerings. It's amazing how much more things one can encounter when one is alone :P I wrote a short journal while I was on my own, and I think I'll share some here later on. Looking back, the journals were rather hilarious....

Ref:
Hinduism in Indonesia
Puja

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments