Sunday, March 10, 2019

Brazil Afro Museum - Intro


While in Sao Paulo, the only touristy place that I've actually visited was the Brazil Afro Museum located at Ibirapuera Park. I was thinking of all the places nearby where I might be interested in, and this was the only museum that really caught my attention. The fact that I just flew in from Ethiopia helped me stir my interest there as well. So on the Sunday after I have arrived, I took an Uber to the place after a nice breakfast at the hotel. It was only a 30mins walk from my hotel, but I wasn't gonna take any chances walking there! 


The museum was easy enough to find, and cost 6Real (around 2SGD) to go in. There are two storeys of quite a large floor space, with clean toilet and water cooler at the second floor. I spend about 1.5hours there. Although I did enjoyed the exhibit as this was like my very first encounter with African culture, at the back of my mind I was worried about how I was gonna find my way back since I don't have any WiFi or internet, and I wasn't sure how safe it was to walk back.... But again, it was a nice enough museum. So do visit it if you are there. Note that everything is in Portuguese, so yeah.... get a guide or just look and feel the spirit of Africa!


I will further divide this post into 4 different section, mainly:
        • Africa
        • Religion
        • Dolls
        • Art


While I was there, there was a comic exhibition by an african artist as well, and although I can't really understand the comic, I though the color themed of the section was really uplighting and nice. I especially like the barking dog that greeted you as you walked into the section. There were a lot of fierce dogs featured in the comic for some reason. I am not too sure the relationship between dogs and African yet. I just really like the color of the section. 


And as I've mentioned at the start of the post, the museum is situated in Ibirapuera Park. Above is the only picture I have of the park, and it is of the famous structure by Neyman, a famous Brazilian Architect. I was kinda paranoid about taking out my phone while in the park and taking photos even though I saw many people taking selfies and all. To me, safety first! I don't really regret much of the photos that I don't take, prioritising instead of the experience that I get. 

So next 4 post will all be about the Afro Museum's exhibit. Stay tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments