Monday, March 11, 2019

Brazil Afro Museum - Spirit of Africa


This is a rewrite of the same article, cause for some reason, my original post was deleted. What would you expected to see in an African museum? African cultural pieces, hunting tools, war tools, accessories and head gears of course! And that was exactly what I saw at the section call spirit of Africa.


I didn't really pay much attention to this section as I have already know what to expect from my research online about the museums. It was your typical African exhibit.


There were many face mask and head gear probably used for religious or cultural events. They were mainly made out of natural ingredients like wood or roots etc. 


There was a whole red hall of hunting weapons or war weapons, whatever helps. Again, didn't pay much attention to those although I do like the colour scheme of the room. 


We also have scary looking costume like the one featured here. I have no idea what they are for, but if I see one jumping towards me in the middle of the night or even during day time, I am getting out of here! There was some TV nearby showing how people use this costume, but again, it was in Portuguese so I can't understand a thing about it. 


There was a whole wall of mask that was rather impressive. But they were hung above head level and you can't really see the details of it, which is a pity...


Most of the art pieces were rather scary looking to me. 


But I did like this one here. Probably because of his smiley face that makes him seems much more approachable. I also like the furry thing he is sitting on, and the rope that kinda resemble his super long penis? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments