Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Brazil Afro Museum - Religion


This post is about the religion section of the Afro Museum. Perhaps it is because I am an Atheist, I am fascinated by religion. Probably because it was something I find it hard to understand. Was it not similar to a celebrity or super hero crush gone horribly out of scale? I could never understand. But I do like it. And it has never occured to me that Christianity was the main featured religion of an Afro Museum. Those missionaries do awesome work spreading the word of Christ!


They have walls and walls of Christian related exhibit in the museums, both on the first floor and second floor. Either as expression of art or worship, it was everywhere!


Above was a gigantic cross made of wooden carving. It looked again, kinda scary with all the sharped edges, but at the same time impressive. This was more of an art piece as it was located at the art section. Kinda resembles a fiery cross. 


Above I would also assumed it is an art installation. Four wise men all lighted up? Hahaha. Enlightened! I find it rather pretty really. Very catholic.


And then there was a section that I wasn't sure what kinda of religion it was, or maybe a crossed of different religion all blend in? Like the photo above, looks kinda Indian or Thai to me with all the flowers. Maybe it was just a celebration piece?


There were a few that reminded me of the Pope. But the cray or ceramic figurine looked so erm, for a lack of better word, childlike. It started to get me wondering what impression do other people have when they visit Asia and see the things that we pray to or worship? For example the Chinese spirits which the tongue hanging out and face all black that clearly looked like a demon but is worshipped in some temple. Or the horse face and bull face hell guardian.... Let us not judge each other too harshly!


And then there were walls that was clearly Christian looking, but screamed voodoo to me inside my head. For a moment, I was quite lost as to how to feel about all this. It reminded very much about those voodoo episode of X-files or tv series that I have seen before. But I keep reminding myself that maybe other people just worship the same god differently, adorning them with their own expression?


So like the above photo, why do they cover up the cross with accessories that make it look so eerie like? Maybe its all the clash in colour? Maybe I just don't like colours and clutter? It's just all so disturbing to me. 


Or this gigantic cross with a wall of heads next to it. What is it trying to imply???


I could never understand religion... sigh. But I can related to the last photo here. A priest on a hammock reading a book. Yeah, if I have a house big enough, I'll have a feature like this just for me to read in. Or a hammock hanging over a pool which I've seen in some of the condominium in Singapore. Ah, a relaxing thought, that should be the last impression I leave you with, before we go on another scary nightmare journey about dolls in the Afro Museum! Stay tune!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments