Monday, December 11, 2023

Solo Trip - Ipoh (July 2022) - Ferry & Train Journey


For me, it's always fun to travel, regardless of the mode of transport. So even a simple ferry ride is enjoyable to me. Unfortunately, the glass window on the ferry wasn't too clean, so all the photos taken from inside is kinda blurred. But I'm happy to report that on my latest trip to Ipoh in 2023 onboard the new ferry, the photos turned out so much better. Will post that trip after all my solo adventure entries!


So the first photo is of the old nostalgic ferry parked at the Butterworth side. They still kept a few of these ferries around mainly for nostalgic purposes I guess? They make for a good photo. There is even one parked at Queen's Waterfront just for deco. The second photo is from Penang side, showing the newly renovated new Ferry Terminal that was opened recently in 2023. 


Upon reaching Butterworth, I found myself in Penang Sentral. I have not been here before. Actually I haven't taken a KTM train for ages! So all this was kinda refreshing to me. Everything was new to me. As I arrived way too early for my train, I went around and explore Penang Sentral. 


On the upper flow, there are some food places. The food court was sadly closed down, even as of 2023. There is a glass door next to Starbuck that leads you to this open air platform. The view was fabulous back in 2022, and you can see all the way to Penang Island. But in 2023 when I was back here recently, the trees have grown and have started to block the view.  It's quite a pity as it make such a nice viewing point for people. 


From the platform you can also view the ships and old ferries parked at the Butterworth side. That's where the above photo was taken, with the beautiful backdrop of Penang Island behind it. 


Moving back to the main floor, there are some shops for food, bubble tea and a Guardian too. But the main functional area was the bus terminal where you can purchase tickets to anywhere in Peninsular Malaysia, a nice ample sitting area with aircon, and quite clean toilet. If you go down further to the road level, there will also be Rapid Bus Stops where you can take the bus to anywhere in Butterworth. With my Muntiara Pass, I guess the rides are still technically free! Gonna give it a try one day. 


I needed to find the path to the train station. Back in 2022 it was quite a challenge to walk to train station. But in 2023, there is a direct connection there with escalator and lift. So fear not, you won't get lost. It will take around 10 mins to talk to the train station. Easy peasy. 


Via the old path, you will end up here and see the KTM sign. But via the new path, you will just end up at the station itself. Somehow, my memory of the train station when I was young was a much pretty walkway with old shops around. I don't really like the train station in Penang at all. It's old, disorganised, and small. 


There is a crossover bridge which leads you from the road side to the station. It makes a nice spot to take photo of the train tracks and train with the platform and surrounding areas. If you like train, this is a good place to park yourself while waiting for the train. 


I can see all the way to the Perai Bridge and mosque. The train tracks will run nearer to the bridge if you want a more close up view of the bridge. 


You can also view cargo trains carrying their loads that are headed to Penang. The train actually runs all the way to the coast nearer to the sea. 

Back to my train journey, my train was at 1245pm. I got my tickets online via the KTM Mobile appl. It's easier as you can just use it to scan the barcode to enter the train station or exit it paperless-ly. The cost of a ticket to Ipoh was 40rm+ one way. Good news for 2023, if you want to save cost you can take the kommuter train which cost only 12.50rm one way. I've tried it, and I must say, for weekday travel, just go via the cheapest route will do. It isn't very crowded. 


Sign board on the train telling you which train is arriving and the platform to go to. You can't actually go down to the platform until maybe 15minutes before the train depart. You can just wait at a small aircon room until they start opening up the stairs route to go down to the platform. I guess this is to control crowding?


Here's a map of the trains. I find it quite confusing. 


Above shows what the platform looks like. The train stopping there is a kommuter train which runs more frequently and without seat reservation. 


Finally, above is the ETS train internally. It's pretty clean and cold inside. The seats are comfortable, and the window clean. You can also charge your electronic devices as there are power points between the seats. I was impressed. It was like those trains in those advance countries. I wish they have a ETS service between Singapore and Penang, I would be more than happy to be a regular customer cause I love taking the train!


There is also a cafe carriage. And the food there is actually quite good, although the price is quite high. I've tried their Nasi Ayam Merah which cost 11rm, and it was after I ate a 6inch subway veggie sandwich too. But it's always nice to know you can get some food during your trip in case you get hungry :)

We will be arriving in Ipoh soon! Lot's of nice kampung, lake and limestone cave view along the way! If you are headed to Ipoh, book a seat on the left side. On the way back, book a seat on the right to get the best view!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments