Friday, December 15, 2023

Solo Trip - Ipoh (July 2022) - Mural Hunting in Old Town



This post is all about murals. There are just so many of them in Ipoh! I hope I have enough words to describe them. I recall the post I did on Brazil's graffiti that it was basically just a photo post! But since now I have more time, I seem to be writing more and letting the word flow. So here goes! Above is a small alley at the old town. I didn't see it in 2023. It's just outside a cafe at some alley. I thought t would make a good cover photo to start off this post!


Most of the murals found around town shows scenes of olden days. And they are sometimes blend in to the surrounding, or have some actual physical objects as part of the mural. Here looks like a casual setting of people are the alley. What makes this nice is the red lantern and the metal gate that kinda adds to the ambiance of the mural. 


Nearer to the shops at Gerbang Malam, there is a mural of how the traditional biscuits are made. It blends in with the air con unit just hanging above it, and the walkways of shops next to it. Yes, some of the Ipoh biscuits are still made using the traditional method.


Above is a scene of chinese playing with the temple flag or chingay flag. What is nice is the colour scheme, of red and yellow, and also the steps. It makes the mural blend into the surrounding. 


Some coffee shop scenes along 3rd wife's lane. The old clock, and the chinese calendar is a typical scene at old coffee shop, along with the marble table if any. Since this is Ipoh, they serve white coffee at the coffee shop. The best white coffee so far that I've came across is at Nam Heong kopitiam in old town. Goes well with their egg tart, or some siew mai. 


Above is a prettier mural of a tycoon and a lady in cheong sam at a kopitiam at Concubine Lane. As you can see, lots of people shopping at this street, or just browsing and soaking in the atmosphere. 


Chinese herbal drink is also very popular in Ipoh. This mural shows the olden day herbal drink peddle. I actually visited the museum and shop of Ho Yan Hor on my latest visit, and it was an educational find! Plus the herbal was not too bad either. 


For some reason, there is also some Japanese themed mural found here. I think it looks lovely, with the red and green door as it's border. Most of the photos here are in their original form as I try not to edit them too much. I needed to show the actual framing I do when I took them. Someone once told me I got a good eye for framing photographs :P


Another famous mural, where the metal trishaw is an actual physical object. Love the red lanterns, and even the side wooden windows that add to the feel of this scene. Old moldy walls also makes for a good backdrop for photos of old town like Ipoh and Georgetown! It's amazing how wonderful they turn out in photographs. Something very authentic about old run down buildings that adds to the charm. 


Above is a cheesy mural of kids. I added it here cause it features children, so we got to be kind to the kids, even though I don't really thing it's that outstanding....


Above another 3D mural, with actual table and chairs. I think these are newer murals, meant mainly as scenes for the shops. But every time I walk pass, these shops are never open.....


There is also a makcik mural, and the table and bowl she is pouring into is actual physical objects. I think the mural is just so-so, but I do love the vibrant red backdrop, along with the rusty green metal gates, and charming tiles. So makcik also won a spot in this post :)


A simple black and white minimalist mural of tin mining scene. This can be found at the side of the Ho Yan Hor building, just next to teh car park. What is nice about this is the simplicity, the lack of colours, and of course, the moldy walls that blends in as part of the mural.


At 3rd wife's alley, I assume there once was a fabric shop or tailor there. He has been immortalised at the side wall of one of the alley. I like this photo cause the walk way on the right has such low arch. The people long time back must be very short! I also like that the black sign board is painted as part of the mural. It almost looks like an actual shop!


Lastly, Ipoh's famous white coffee! With colourful pink stool for you to sit on while you sip the bubbly drink.  Stay tune! More murals found on day 2 of my trip too! I'm amazed I can write so much and I'm still in day 1! I initially planned just one day to blog the whole 2D1N trip. But now it looks like it's going to take one week to complete! I cannot imagine how long it's going to take to blog my 2 weeks trip! It is sure to keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments