Saturday, September 4, 2010

Chew Jetty

My apologies for being slightly distracted from my Old Penang blog series recently. I have initially wanted to do a continues blog entry so that you would have a flow of what my trip was like. However, too many things came into my life all at once recently, and I was heavily distracted. But hey, if I'm not blogging, means I'm having a life! And you should be happy for me!

Anyway, I have 1 hour to blog before I head out to East Coast Park, so I'm gonna share with you a place call Chew Jetty in Penang. This place is named so because only the people with the chinese surname "Chew" lived here. There are actually a few jetties around this area, but we went to only one. These are the heritage area in Penang, villages build on water.

From the photo above top left, is the entrance to a place called Chew Jetty, near the Weld Quay terminal in Georgetown, Penang. You are welcome to walked in, and you would be surrounded by wooden old houses with narrow wooden platform alley. The pace of life slows as you walk further in and lose yourself in time.

It's interesting to note the wide contrast between the Clan Jetty and it's backdrop of high rise flats, and in some picture, the view of Penang Bridge. Here fisherman still used traditional fish traps to catch fishes, and goes out into the sea using a sampan daily.

People still leave rice out to dry in the sun. People still mend their own boats and nets, and hey! Mud skippers are still alive and glowing here! I have to admit, that this is the first time I've ever visited this place. I've heard of it, but in my 21 years in Penang, I've never visited it. I'm glad I've finally did. Sitting out there in the village, the smell of fishes in your hair, is quite a unique experience. Ah Niu was right, Malaysia does have its own romantic places. Simple and unique in nature :)

Incidentally, the Clan Jetty was also featured in Ah Niu's last movie Ice Kacang Puppy Love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments