Friday, June 5, 2020

Kyoto Sept 2019 : Sannen Ninen Zaka


On the first day I had to myself, I decided to go visit Koyomizu on my own. My husband was not interested to visit this place as it involves a lot of walking and also climbing up stairs and hill. But I was super psych to go here for a few reason: one was to visit the only Starbuck in the world in a matchaya traditional tea house with tatami seat, and two to visit the UNESCO site, one of the most beautiful and famous temples in Kyoto. So I decided to set off really early one morning to walk there. The plan was to have a nice breakfast at the Starbuck when it first open, and quickly go to the temple before the rest of the tourist reach there. At that point, I wasn't sure if I wanted to visit the temple, I was more interested in just visiting the old streets and shops around it. 


It's a 30 - 40 mins walk from where we stayed, and yes, I walked all the way there, in the early morning! It was a morning walk, and since the weather was quite cool, it was a lovely walk. I finally walked pass the Kamo River and above was the view on my way to the temple. It was kinda cloudy, but still beautiful in my view.


I got a bit lost on the way there after exiting the main road and headed towards the mountains as the roads become smaller and less organised. I mean, there were alley ways here and there and I wasn't sure if I was headed in the right directions.


But I guess I was nearby cause from time to time I spotted pagodas along the way, or old stones and monument. The experience of walking through the old streets was also an experience by itself. I guess it wasn't something most tourist get to experience as this was kinda the opposite direction to the temple. At the sign of the Kiyomisu road junction, the correct path was to turn right and head straight to the temple. But I headed left towards the residential area as it was a shorter way to reach Starbucks.


Finally I saw some sign that seems to say I was now in the old area of Sannen and Ninen Zaka. And slowly old traditional shops become visible. 


The walkways and alley were cobble-like and look so beautiful, especially since it was still early morning and there wasn't many people around. Actually there were a few what looked like Taiwanese or Chinese wedding photography going around taking in the scenes for their wedding album. I kinda spoil their beautiful view of the empty streets I guess, haha. 


Most of the shops were not opened yet, so I can really take a slow walk around. 


Here's one selling ceramic, and look at all the cute ceramic their just put all over the floor outside! I couldn't help taking a snap of this. Most of the shops have a no photography sign on it. But not this one! haha. I love ceramics. I love pretty potteries.


The whole area was like a maze. And there were also steps going up or down cutting through the neighbourhood, or act as a shortcut. Along the way, you could see signs like the above, that gives you a glimpse of all the hidden cafe and accommodation available all around. 


The above is the old shop streets headed to the main temple entrance. As you can see, it was already kinda crowded when I finally reached there. This was after I connected back into the main path and the shops started to open. It was a narrow street, and I didn't mind the crowd as I could browse the things being offered for sale at a slower pace. Mainly I try to find a school excision group and walk along with them at the back. They helped clear the way for me, and the shop owner assume I was part of the group as their teacher or something.  But all that is in another post. First I have to achieve my first objective of being here, Tatami Starbucks!


Actually I got kinda lost and confused looking for it. First, I walked up and down the same road like three times! I was following my GPS, and it kept telling me the shop was on the same road, but I have walked pass it. It didn't matter whether I walk up or down, I kept missing it. Perhaps in my mind I was expecting to see a Starbuck sign to show where the shop was. But this was a traditional heritage road, so in a way, they have certain guidelines here I guess. So Starbuck was actually along this road. And if you take a look of the photos here and above, it's kinda hard to spot it, right? Hahaha. I will show you where Starbuck is in the next post.


But first, here's a selfie of me along the beautiful traditional streets with nobody behind me. I look so cute with my lost hat too! Yes. I lost my hat. Not in Japan, but in Bangkok after this trip. And up to this day, I am sad about it. Hahaha. But never mind, that is another story. First, let's go to Tatami Starbuck in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments