Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hasedera Temple (長谷寺) Kamakura


Hasedera Temple (長谷寺) is my favorite temple in Kamakura. It is mainly for worship place for the 11-headed Kannon (Goddess of Mercy). But what I like best about it is a special place for lost children.

As you enter the temple and make your way up towards the main shrine, there is a little garden filled with miniature statues of monks and Jizo, the guardian of children. Each miniature statue to your right represents an unborn child from abortion, or stillborn. The parent will come here and place a statue here as a memorial to the child. It is a sad, yet peaceful sight to see the tribute to unborn children.


Here too is where I took one of my favorite shots of my trip in Japan. Most of the photos you've seen so far are not taken by me. But this one is, and I absolutely love this photo and have uploaded it here in full resolution.

Ref:
Goddess of Mercy
Jizo

2 comments:

  1. Great photo! Do not stop blogging.

    I am on a business trip to Tai-Chung, Taiwan next week. Hope to bring back some photo too :)

    Sweet Little Piggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Piggy! If you are extending your stay in Taiwan, try to go hiking at Taroko Gorge at HuaLian! It's beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete

Comments