Saturday, May 30, 2009

Kiritani Hakoneso (箱根温泉旅館) Hakone


This is the ryokan we stayed in while we were in Hakone. As you can see, it's in the middle of nowhere. The photo below is the view of the garden from our room. The ryokan cost us S$200 per person per night, and I was really disappointed with it for the following reason:

1. They gave us a room without checking our reservation slip, thus resulting in us getting the wrong room.
2. Although it was suppose to be a ryokan, no one serve us tea in our room when we arrive, and no meals where serve in the room at all.
3. A carpark is visible from the inside of the onsen, which isn't a good thing since you are totally naked in an onsen. Sure the shade of the trees helped, but it kinda killed the serenity of the onsen.
4. The onsen for women only opens from 3pm - 9pm, which is pretty discriminating considering the guy's onsen open from 3pm - 9pm, and 7am - 10am.
5. The food did not wow me, and was rather little compared to other onsen I've been to.


Here's a photo of our dinner served in a private dining room. Please click photo to view in detail each item served. The only item I really like is the roast beef with miso paste. The beef look tough, but was totally soft and nice when you bite into it. The rest of the item was just ok. But since I was starving by the time they serve us dinner at 6pm, I finish everything that was served :) We finished our meal by 7pm, and went back to the room. As the weather was windy and cold, we were all asleep by 7:30pm! We slept with our windows open, and the wind kept howling all night long. At around 2am, I woke up to find a full moon staring down at me from my tatami bed! Very beautiful.

Breakfast the next morning was served at 8am, and my favorite dish was the grilled fish. I like it so much that I even bought a pack of it from Narita Airport when I was coming back to Sg. One pack of the fish cost me Y$700! (S$10.50) We checked out around 9:30am and continued our journey in Hakone.

Ref:
Tatami 畳

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review. Very informative. Trying to make a decision on ryokan as well. Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! And thanks for dropping a note! Always nice to know someone is making use of the information from this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for information of this Ryokan and accidentally find this page. Thanks for your informative review. I had stayed at one place last trip, but now search out for the better one. I probably go the old one, to play safe ~ Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog. More info on Japan available on other entries. If you guys have a good ryokan to recommend,please don't be shy! I hear Japan calling my name again! Should be back there soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments