Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pulau Tikus

Half my childhood was spend growing up in Pulau Tikus, a small town in Penang. To me, this place has all the best food in Penang. I'm going to share two of my favourite food with you. These photos were taken some time back, but I always eat the same thing whenever I'm in Penang anyway, so trust me, the food has not changed in taste nor presentation for the past 20 years!


Just opposite the Pulau Tikus Polis Station, it the old Swee Kong coffee shop. When I posted just the photo of the coffee shop in a Penang Facebook group, I received a lot of response for it. I never knew it was so famous! For me, it serves the best "fried lor horfun" with the nicest fried wantan! In the same coffee shop, you will also find wonderful Hokkien Mee (finish selling by 9am!) and Apong Manis in the morning. In the afternoon, there are wonderful nyonya economy rice, and siam laksa, but I can't guarantee you they are still there as I'm usually only there in the morning.


Take a walk around Pulau Tikus and there is a wonderful vibe and market atmosphere right behind the Swee Kong coffee shop. And just diagonally behind Swee Kong is my favourite Western Food, Chef's Delight. I've know the Chef David there since I was in primary school! So that's a very very long time of good western food. His Chicken Chop is the best to me! The coffee shop that houses Chef's Delight is also an interesting heaven. It plays only musicbox music!

Pulau Tikus also has two famous tourist attraction, a Siamese temple Wat Chaiyamangalaram, and a Burmese Dhammikarama. See next blog entry for info.

Other famous food in Pulau Tikus features in "Taste with Jason". (Site below is in Chinese)
Apong Manis (Indian Pancake)
Mee Goreng (Indian Fried Noodles)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments