Monday, August 23, 2010

Wat Chayamangkalaram Thai Buddhist Temple


As you walk along the sleepy street of Lorong Burmah, the road just next to the Pulau Tikus Polis Station, to your left, the kampung houses are suddenly replaced by a courtyard of Thai architecture. Slowly the sight of one of Malaysia's largest Thai temple's gate welcome you with it's majestic structure. You have reached the Wat Chayamangkalaram Thai Buddhist Temple Penang. Penang being at the northern part of Malaysia, is very close to Thailand, and you will find many Thai temples all over Penang. This is just the most popular one with the largest Sleeping Buddha inside.


However, this temple was just a place I used to come yearly to pay respect to my paternal grandmother whose urn is placed in the Buddhist style crypt of this temple. It was a place aunts and uncle, along with all my cousin gather for prayers, and for a family meal later. And being young then, I never could recognize my grandmother's urn unit, thus ending up praying to some stranger instead. Now, a bit more matured now, I could read at least recognize her surname now. And for the sake of long term remembrance, I took this picture of her unit so that I would never forget again :)


In loving memory of Ah Mah :)

Ref
Wat Chayamangkalaram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments