Friday, December 17, 2010

NHM - Natural History Museum London

8-Nov-2010 (Monday). It was raining. And raining means its a good day to visit the museums. We took the tube to South Kensington Station and walked there in the rain. The museum opens at 10am, and we were early by 15 minutes. But as we approached the museum, we could already see a queue outside. Worst part is, it was still raining, so we had to queue in the rain before we were allowed in at 10am! Yes, the museum is THAT popular! So go early!
As I stepped into the museum, my jaws dropped. Right smack in the main hall way, a dinosaur skeleton greeted us. Have you seen the movie A Night at the Museum?  Lol.
The building was huge! And beautiful! With stained glass, classic stairways all over the place, wooden flooring, and space, lots and lots of space. Even the ceiling was beautifully decorated with tiles of natural flora and with their scientific names on them too! And animal crafted pillars all around. With such details, it remain true to its name of natural history. If science has a church, this place would be it.

And in the center of where two staircase met, Sir Charles Darwin sat cross legged, welcoming you into his world.
Here's a floor plan of the entire museum. You may not know where to start digesting the information overload here, but me being me, have already checked out their website way back when and knew exactly what I wanted to get out of my visit here. The three main attraction to me was:
  • Dinosaurs -  Cause I've never seen dinosaur bones before!
  • Darwin Centre - Cause I'm part Humanist, haha, and mainly because I love Biology
  • Sperm Whale - Cause I hate swimming and would probably never know how huge a real whale is.
I'm gonna create a blog entry for each main attraction listed above, so check them out in a few day's time.
Oh by the way, entrance to the museum is FREE! And frankly, I think it's a 'MUST SEE' places to visit in London. I felt like a kid the whole time I was there!

Ref:
Natural History Museum (Wiki Link)
Natural History Museum (Official Link)
A Night at the Museum
Charles Darwin
Humanist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments