Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Subscription Box Craze

Hi again! I just realize that my last post was like 10 months ago! So sorry for being away so long. Life has been very full for me lately, and I'm having the time of my life! But now that its the year end, and what's with so much holiday around, I finally have some time to catch up with my blog again. So I'm just going to go through the photos on my phone and document what I have been up to for the past 10 months. And even then, that would be far off as I've too much back log to clear. But never mind, let's just take it one post at a time!

 To start off, LOOK! Such a colorful photo of Japan's caramel corn! In 3 exotic flavor! (Cheese Cake, Sweet Potato, and Toasted Apples). Yummy! This does not include the more main stream flavor of Chocolate, Original, Matcha, Toasted Almonds, Vanila, and goodness knows what else. Yes. I've made it my life's mission to try all the flavors available!.
 
 Ok, enough of that crap. Next! Subscription Boxes. In case you don't know what are those, they are boxes you can subscript on a monthly basis like magazines for a fixed amount of money. You don't have much control what you will get in it, but it usually follows a certain theme. There are many times of subscription boxes available in the world. It is basically giving someone else money to buy you a gift monthly. Sounds pathetic but it's true!

The subscriptions are usually expensive, for example, small boxes can be around SGD13? To big boxes ranging to SGD30 for something like what you see in the photo. And that's just for junk food from Japan! They also have boxes with gourmet food, beauty box, wine, organic vegetable, pastry, games etc.

Anyway, being the cheap skate as I am, I didn't want to commit to let a stranger send me a box that might potentially be damaged, and may contain food I may not like. So I decided to try an experiment. I decided to have a budget, say SGD20 to make one subscription box. I pick Japanese Snacks as I was deprived of my annual trip to Japan by my new Japanese boss this year (the irony).

I went shopping at Daiso, at Japanese alcohol shop, and Cold Storage. And the two boxes is my end result, I gave one to my brother. Each box cost price is around maybe SGD11 to SGD13, and it is a huge box too!
Items found inside includes: Instand Ramen, can drinks (juice and tea), Snow Biscuit, Jagabee Potato Chips, lots of Ramune candies ラムネ (ugh), mini chocolate and candy, and Japanese drinking snacks.

Not  bad eh? So this is why marketing doesn't work on me. I'm too cheap to fall for fancy ideas. I rather make my own!

That's all for now! Next post coming up soon!

Here is the youtube from Animeman that started the above experiment.


27-Dec-2015: Add on after the first publishing of this blog, I found the photo of my very first attempt at a subscription box! At a budget of SGD10, I got this junk which none of them taste any good! Lol. Lesson learnt: subscription box are not meant to be practical, they are meant to be fun and make you happy!


Ref:
Tohato Caramel Corn
ラムネ Ramune

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments