Sunday, January 12, 2014

Registering for my Japanese Lesson

You know how a new year is approaching and you are wondering what new year resolution you should make for the upcoming year? Well I have a few targets on my list for 2014, and one of them was to finally give Japanese Language a try. I've always like Japan ever since I went there for a home-exchange program in 2001, and now I have a strong sentimental connection with that land. I try to visit it every 4 years, and I am sadly overdue. So far I've been there 3 times, and all 3 times have been amazing. So my dream would be to be able to go live there for a brief period of time, even if it is only for a few months.

So on 15-Dec-2013, I set off to the Japanese Cultural Society to register for the elementary course in Japanese. The goal was to give it a try for one year. And if I haven't drown by the end of it, I would very much like to carry on and get thru the JLPS (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)  and hopefully be fluent enough to carry a decent conversation by the time I hit 40. Yes, it's part of my bucket list to clear, so better start now than later!

I reached the place at 10:30am, yet my queue number was 140! I had the impression that Japanese was no longer popular now as the K-Pop world take over. Still, they made me queue. I didn't know what to expect, but up I went to the centre, and registered myself anyway for a weekly Saturday lesson. The whole elementary course takes 1 year. And cost less than SGD700 for the full year. Here's a sample of the course fee as of 2014 year enrollment. This does not include text box which is 2 x SGD15 for each book. Books used are actually from San Her Publishing, a Malaysian company! Planning to go back Penang to get some books from there. The books are only RM33 (SGD13) each there.
Well, yesterday 11-Jan-2014, I attended my first lesson, and I must say, it's pretty fast pace! There will be two exam, one in June, and one in December which we have to pass to proceed on. Year 1 will complete Lesson 1 to 16. When I complete till Lesson 50, the teacher say I'll be able to converse in Japanese. The class size is around 25 per person, ranging from young to old, and surprisingly quite a number of guys. The teacher is a Japanese, and does give us some background on how the language is use in Japan, which is a nice touch.

Here's looking forward to my new venture. I'm kinda glad I eventually started my journey on this. I'm planning to go back to Japan in 2015 after I renewed my passport that allows me to visit Japan without a Visa, and maybe get a job there if I complete my course.

So looking forward to it :)

Ref:
Japanese Cultural Society Singapore
JLPT
San Her Publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments