Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Soup Mania

I love soup. But I always thought those Western soup were hard to make. Well I was wrong. When one of my colleague told me that Soup Spoon's soup ingredient are available from their mobile application and that with that you can use basic soup technique to replicate the soup you like at home. One day while out walking around NTUC after lunch, I saw that a wedges of pumpkin was only SGD0.80. So I bought it and started my journey of making homemade soup!  So far, I've only tried two. Here's to share with you my soup adventure!

The first soup I made was pumpkin. Ingredient: 1 wedge of pumpkin, 1 small apple, and 1 cup of milk. That's it! That made me one bowl of awesome soup! I cut the pumpkin in cubes of similar size, same with the apple, and steam them for 20 minutes. After that, while they are still hot, I put them in a blender, added some milk and voilà! Done! It was still warm when it was done, so I ate it all up there and then. It you have been following my food journey you'll know that I don't put sugar or salt in my cooking most of the time, cause really, who needs them when you can taste all the bursting flavor of the natural ingredient? The pumpkin was super sweet, and it was so smooth too! Will definitely make it again in future!
The second soup I made was only this week - Tangy Tomato. This was my favorite soup from Soup Spoon, so of course I need to give it a try. The ingredient are listed in the image above. This is also an easy to make soup cause I was mopping my floor while making it. I cut the pepper, tomato and garlic into wedges and just toasted them in my toaster. While I waited, I mopped my whole house clean. Once they were nice and burned, I put them all in a blender and blended them. In a pan, I sautéed some chopped onions, dump in the tomato puree and basil leaves, add some milk and wait for it to boil. This soup tasted ok, but didn't have the body you get when you have those from the shop. It could be due to me using milk instead of cream. It could also be the tomatoes which had high water content. I have no idea! But it tasted ok, just light. I serve two bowls for lunch with some leftover corn bread, and kept the rest as pasta sauce! I'm sure if I thicken it up with some Parmesan, it would be just lovely!

Ref:
Soup Spoon
Parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments