Friday, January 17, 2014

UP by Jawbone

 My company has this habit of giving us CapitalLand voucher as reward from time to time. Last year I received a SGD150, and after giving away SGD50 to  my husband, I still have SGD100 left, and for some unknown reason, I decided to get a Jawbone up cause it looks so cool and I thought it would help me to lose weight. I actually wanted the minty green colored UP, but at that time it was new in Singapore and they only have black and navy blue I think. So I settle for the black one. My colleague SW got a matching pair.
 I managed to take some photo of the box before the actual unboxing. The UP cost me SGD189, so I did top up some cash for it. I thought it was a cool technology to wear, and it sync with my phone to keep track of my steps per day, and my sleep hour. It can also track my exercise, and food intake, but those are kind of a pain to key in as it's based on your own data entry.
 Here are some UI of the UP on my phone and my colleague's phone. I named my UP CordyLifeBand, and my profile is a photo of Sapon from Sentimental Circus. Maybe I should change it to something more motivating? Lol. I used it from April to August 2013 at first. Keying in the food in take was the most painful task. After a while, i just gave up. Now I only update the food intake during weekend when I feel like it cause it looks cool. The feature to scan food product and get the info is kinda cool, and so far it worked for US and Korean products. But Singapore local product is quite a pain to input on a go. It just takes too much time. There is a library feature where it keep all your entry, but there is cache to that and it's still a pain to repeat something you have not had for sometime. You can add friends to your UP which I did. To date I only have two friends, and they hardly update their UP  :( I stopped using UP from Sep to Nov 2013. I find it doesn't keep a memory of my activity when I don't have a data plan to upload the day's event. So it kinda screw up my tracking while I was overseas. Anyway, I started again in Nov 2013, and have been using it daily so far as I wanted to be more active and sleep more. 
Here's an image of a day I actually managed to achieve my goal! My sleep target is 8 hours a day, and in a week, I'll be lucky to hit it once or twice. Only so its really  my own fault when I don't get enough sleep. UP is a tool to show it to me visually so that I'll be guilty enough and do something about it! My daily step goal use to be 8000, increase to 10,000, and now I've set it to 12,000. I find that the steps are easier to achieve since I love to walk anyway. And it has motivated me to move more. These days I walk to the train station from home. Since I came back from Italy, I managed to survive Christmas, New Year and Birthday month without actually putting on any significant weight. In fact, I have managed to maintain my weight thus far, and hope to decrease it slowly as Chinese New Year comes and go. Good luck to me!

Here to share a sadly uninspiring ad on UP found on youtube. You'd think they could come up with something better for such a cool gadget. Anyway, I'm targeting an Android watch next, something that can interface with my phone!



Ref
UP Jawbone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments