Thursday, November 22, 2018

Western Food Creation


Today's post is all the yummy main courses I've made using my air fryer to date! So let's start with the very first, tonkatsu don a.k.a. fried pork rice. I love eating tonkatsu from the restaurant cause they usually offers free flow rice and vege. On a hungry day, I can usually finish 2.5 bowls of rice from such restaurant. The cost was around SGD25 and above. So I thought, why not make it myself. So above was the result of it. I bought some pork pieces from Isetan, and mix it with flour and panko (Japanese breadcrumbs). On my first try, it was a bit under cooked, but it was still yummy, especially with the okonomiyaki sauce. The only thing missing was the cabbage. Cost of this? Probably around SGD3? Cause the pork cost around SGD4, but I made 2 to 3 portion of it, the sauce cost around SGD2 for 200g. 


Next was chicken karaage curry rice. This was one of my favourite dish to order at Yunomori Onsen. So I tried creating this at home. The chicken pieces are actually chicken breast covered in panko. I used half of it to make japanese curry as well. Chicken breast cost only SGD2 for such a large piece, and its supposed to be healthy for you. If you're making the above dish, then no problem! So cost of the above? Maybe SGD3? Chicken breast is only SGD2, cabbage maybe SGD1, and japanese curry sauce, together with onions and carrots maybe SGD5? and I can actually make 4 dishes from all that cost of ingredient. Just throw in effort and rice cost. This is why its hard for me to spend money eating at the restaurant more and more, when I can make all these at home.


Above is a super yummy pepper lemon fried fish and chips. This was inspired by fish and chip flour on sale when we were in Melbourne shopping. Why use boring plain flour when you have flavoured ones! I brought two packs back to try. The first was lemon and pepper breadcrumbs, and the second one was herbs which I've yet to use. Anyway, the above was made with snakehead fish that cost maybe SGD3.5 for the portion you see on top, fried potatoes, and ice lettuces and tomatoes dripped in balsamic vinegar and truffle oil. Yup, sounds fancy and expensive, but actually they are not. So cost of the above would probably be around SGD5 if you factor in all the fancy sauces etc. Still cheaper than hawker side western food that may charge you SGD7, and not with such good ingredient either! HA!


Lastly, this is my latest creation, KFC! Using Kentucky flour I got from Malaysia that cost less than SGD1 per box and can be used twice. Fries. and get this, my first time making coleslaw! I love coleslaw. But finally, my air fryer indirectly motivates me to learn how to make coleslaw. And these are not just any time of coleslaw, but KFC type! I google the recipe from the internet, and its so easy to make! Just salt (half a teaspoon), sugar (1/3 cup), milk (1/4 cup), mayo/buttermilk (1/4 cup), lemon/calamansi (3 table spoon),  vinegar/apple cider vinegar (2 table spoon). Mixed for at least 4 hours or more. I made mine over night. The vegetable part consist of cabbage, carrots, and lots of onions cause I love raw onions. I had these for lunch and dinner, and concluded that 1 drumstick isn't filling enough cause cooking with an air fryer makes everything healthy by default. So you get hungry faster! Lol.

Is having a air fryer a healthy option? Nope. It makes you eat more fried food, even if the fried food are of the healthier version. But it does save you money, cause you would have spend the money to eat the fried food outside your house if you have craving anyway. Plus, cooking at home does make it healthier, and you can modify the recipe however you like it. So do I love my air fryer? Yes! definitely. I have so many more recipe I want to try with it! But washing it is quite a pain. Luckily, I have a husband for that :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments