Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Brazil Biz Trip (July 2019) - Johannesburg Airport South Africa


We arrived early next morning in South Africa Johannesburg. Above was the sight that created us. I would have love to watch the African sunrise, but we had to make our way to next transit hall. There wasn't much to see at that point. 


I tried looking for some tourism poster for my memory photo, but there was none. So I took the above photo that was the only proof that was in Johannesburg. And I was reaching the departing hall, shops started to appear and voila, Prada retro posters!


Remember that post I did about Loius Vuitton retro poster a few post back? Well isn't it a coincident that I landed on a Prada mini exhibit in another part of the world? Doesn't matter, I do love Prada, so I took a few photo of these adorable print. 


Again, they reminded me of long ago days where it was a luxury to travel. 


At the departing hall we were in, there were so many shops that I was caught off guard! As compared to Ethiopia which I last transited, Johannesburg was a shopping heaven! Cheesy and expensive! From souvenirs to alcohol to chocolates, they have almost everything! So I spend my time planning on what I would buy on my journey home while exploring all the shops there. 


One thing I learned was South Africa produces a  lot of gin! And they bottle it so beautifully too. Surely I would exceed my liquid quota if I wanted to buy everything home!


But look at all the variety of gins they have! And the colours! Imagine all the cocktails you can make at home with these! They even have Gin cocktail kit, which was what I got on my way home. For the first time in my life, I exceed my liquid quota because how often was I ever gonna be in Johannesburg again, right?


Another thing I learn from my South African colleague recently was, Nando's was a South African brand. Now did you know that? I did not! I always thought it was a Portuguese brand. Well I was wrong. So in South Africa, you can get any Nando's sauce you want, in the airport! How cool is that?


The other thing that I was surprise off, was my own reactive to seeing Nelson Mandela merchandise in the airport. I was over the moon! I mean, I know he was from South Africa, but I just didn't expect that I would be so excited to be in the same land as him! I was excited that I was in the land of Trevor Noah, that I knew. But who would have thought that I would be all fan-girl-live over Mandela!


Unfortunately his merchandise didn't come cheap. Probably because they were made from environmentally friendly materials that cost more to produce, plus the profit from such merchandise went to charity foundation and such. I ponder long and hard on what I could afford and what I couldn't. 


My boss found it amusing watching me go ga-ga at Mandela and tease me to no end on it. I took every photo I could of Mandela I could find in the airport.  We finally went to the lounge to have our 2nd breakfast and waited for our 2nd leg of the flight to Sao Paulo. Sadly, SQ does not fly to Brazil, so we have to travel by South African airlines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments