Sunday, April 26, 2020

Brazil Biz Trip (July 2019) - Mercado Municipal


The next place we visited on our Sunday was the central market call Mercado Municipal. Initially we wanted to walk there, but we didn't know how to, or whether it was safe to. So we called a cab instead. I was glad we did, cause it was quite far from the church, and went through some rough neighbourhood along the way. 


The central market was a big hall that sells everything a market would, as well as food. My boss wanted to come here to check out the fruits as he is a vegetarian. So we walked around the area.


Above is what is recommend for tourist to try when they come here, a super meaty sandwich. If I came alone or with someone else who wasn't a vegetarian, I would probably have tried it. But for this round, I didn't. It looked like something I could make at home anyway. 


There were so many aisle. And I guess we were there early as it wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be. 


There were many fruits stall there, and my boss was fascinated by all the new fruits he see selling there. The vendors were very generous in asking you to taste their produce. They will cut any fruits you would like to try. It was the first time I tried dates and strawberries as a combination and couldn't believe how good they tasted! It's kinda like Strawberry daifuku without the mochi, but sweeter and thicker due to the dates. 



There was also a second floor area where you could sit down and eat or drink. We went up and took a look around. Here are some of the views from up stairs. 


It kinda reminded me of Italy somehow. Or those european market. Here's a photo of me upstairs as a souvenir shot. After visiting the market, we went out on the streets and just wonder around. The area was a bit rough, so we didn't take any photos, but the prices were low and we really enjoyed exploring around. It was kinda like chinatown atmosphere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments