Friday, April 10, 2020

February 2020


I am blogging this on a long weekend in Singapore. Covid-19 is still spreading life wild fire in Singapore. But it's ok, I am happy to just stay home, cook and enjoy some peace and quiet time alone.  So I thought I'll use this weekend to update my blog. Ever since I started work, this blog has been dormant. It is not that I have forgotten about it. At times when I see the casualty in Italy, I thought I would blog about my trip there as a reminder of what a beautiful country it is, and how sad it was that the people there are dying due to the virus....I have three days off, let see if anything along that line happens. But first, the monthly summary of my life.


I started a new job in February. It was a new "old" job. I went back to my previous previous company again to, as one of my colleague puts it, serve my final "national service" to Singapore. I guess it was a good time to change, since with the virus going on, I don't have to spend my life travelling from one part of the country to the other on a daily basis to work. Plus, travelling has been more or less banned, so remaining in my old company would have been purposeless. 


For the month of February, the top highlights of my month doesn't quite seems to gel with the photos I have decided to put in this entry. For example, I decided to mark Chinatown to remind myself that it was the year of the rat. I took this photo when visiting Julie who was visiting from Bangkok at that time. The virus just started then, and you could see the impact of it in the eerily empty Chinatown.


The virus doesn't seems to impact me in February. It would be because I just came back from Hong Kong in a cruise. I guess I thought if I could survived that, I could survive Singapore, cleanest country in the world! Ha! All that was about to change in March and April!. But as I said, I felt safe travelling around when others were locked away at home. Me and my "friend" even went to Smoke and Mirror for Valentine's Day. She treated me, to a cocktail bar, one that I've always wanted to go to. So it was kinda hard to say no to that. The verdict? The cocktail was a let down. But the ambiance, the service, the food was good. I wish the cocktail was a lot bigger and nicer, cause they charge you so much for such a small size too!


Two other highlights was bringing our new British friend Tom and Trish for dinner in a typical Singapore food court and letting them visit our humble HDB. We didn't take any photos together as we hardly knew each other then. They were just the couple who sat at the table next to us in the cruise. We saw them for 2 weeks and started casual conversation with them. We have since connected via Facebook and it is nice to look into another family's life. 

Me and my husband also had a movie day out in February to clear all our 1-4-1 GV movie vouchers. We watched the Korean Oscar winner Parasite, and Birds of Prey. Parasite was mind blowing and depressing for me. I love the movie! 

And finally back to the last burger photo above. As businesses and restaurants were being hit by the spread of Covid19, some restaurant started offering deals and promotion. I decided to support the local businesses as the town was visibly empty during weekend. We went to a German Restaurant twice for their burgers at a discounted price. They offered so many vegan burger options there that I just couldn't help myself to try them. Verdict? One of the best vegan burgers ever! I need to bring all my vegetarian friends there! So yeah, I just wanted to put that on record :)

To sign off, I would like to confess that I have been taking advantage of the fear of Covid19 in February to visit the town area as it was less crowded and quiet. It was an introvert's dream come through to have the town all to yourself. But the situation has gotten much worst now in April. I no longer go out except for work (yes, I still have to go work. Something about essential worker and bullshit along that line....).  The result of it all, I have been cooking and baking non-stop lately, and will start posting those creation here soon. But if you can't wait, I started using my Instagram account as a food diary recently, so you can also catch my updates there at "cordy.cord.3". 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments