Sunday, September 3, 2017

Books and Reading Murakami

I thought I'll blog about something more personal today. A lot have been going through my mind lately, and I wanted to change the way I was thinking and feeling. So when I got back from Penang in Aug-2017, I decided to visit the library on my day off, and borrowed a bunch of books to help me figure out what I was going through and where I was headed. Well, this post is about some of the books that left a mark on me.  I managed to take some photos of them to remember them by. So let me tell you a little bit of each one.

First is "Love Your Life", a small easy to read quote book by Dominique Bertolucci, and its just a feel good book to read to remind myself about how my life isn't really that bad. I took this photo with a bag of Okinawa Coffee which my old friend Pei Shi gave me on my last day in Penang. My initial idea was to share it with the caption that Coffee is not about taste and aroma, but also about occasion, venue, and the people you drink them with that makes it special. My friend say it is the ritual of preparing and drinking the coffee that binds us. I guess its the same with wine and tea. It is that shared moment you have when you're either alone with your thoughts, or with pleasant company. I'm gonna dedicate one entry about coffee right after this post. 


The next book that really strikes a core with me was "Party Of One" as per photo above. This book talks about loner personality. I enjoyed reading it so much that I finished it in two days, carrying it around with me even though it looks kinda sad to be seen with it, alone, in public. But still, this book really explains everything about loner quite well. And it kinda made me understand myself and other loner so much better. And how other people may misjudge us or think we are antisocial etc. All in all, an enjoyable read. I have been blessed with quite a few exceptional read this year, and I am grateful for each wonderful book I finish.

Lastly, my last read was this beautiful Murakami book, which I got for 20% off from Kinokuniya. Even then, it cost me more than SGD30 as it was his latest book, and it was a hardcover. Can you imagine, that if I were to buy this book in Malaysia, it would have cost me over RM100! 

For some reason, maybe because of the title, maybe because of the great review from bias Murakami fan, I knew that I needed to read this book. I was quite set on buying it. On 1-Sep, I finally did when I saw it on sale. Although I hesitant to start reading it, knowing too well what his books can do to me, when I finally did, I finished it in 2 days, savouring each short stories slowly, all of which, has no concrete ending. But the last story sealed this book forever special in my heart, rightfully titled Men Without Women.

There are only a few books that are special to me: Dragonlance Chronicles, The Wind-up Bird Chronicles, and now Men Without Women add itself to that list. Unlike the first 2 titles which are tied very closely with my past, this last one ties with my present, one which caught me off guard, and which I never expected would happen again in my life time... And that is the most beautiful thing about a Murakami book. It is surreal, dreamlike, ordinary normal, yet strangely familiar all the same. Murakami writes some of the best love story, if you can call them that. They just cuts through the heart like no other. Subtle, but deep cuts.... 

Maybe I should reread 1Q84 again.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments