Sunday, October 8, 2017

Delhi - Rajghat (6-Aug-2016)


6-Aug-2016. The rain has started to stop when we reach Rajghat. This is the memorial park where Mohamed Gandhi, the first prime minister of India's cremation was held. To learn more about this place, refer the reference link below. This was a historical site I was interested in, so I was quite happy when our car finally pulled up here. It was near a quiet area, kinda like a big park.

A short walk from the entrance and you will reach the path into the memorial ground. You can walk in, or you can view it from above. I went in with my tour guide. Every city we reach, a tour guide is assigned to us, but our driver accompanied us all the way. And because you again have to take off your shoes before stepping into the sacred ground, my husband stayed behind and didn't enter .....


This is what it looks inside the ground. It is wet ground you are walking on. Luckily for me, I couldn't care less. And it is a good feeling the soft ground on your feet. My good friend Justin once said that I was kinda like a hippie child, just happy go lucky wherever I went. So walking barefoot was really something I enjoyed.

It was hard to get a good photo of the place as there were many people around, so I won't bother to post any here. Above is a close up of the memorial site made of black marble. Fresh flowers are placed on it, and a flame always burn there. Its very symbolic, a great honour to Gandhi. 


There were also wordings around the area which was supposed to inspire, I assumed. With words like the above, I read it and resonate with it. But at the same time, I recall how sad this place is. Cause although there were places where you could put your footwear for free, nobody uses it cause nobody trust that their footwear would still be there when they come back to collect it. And that itself, is the saddest thing about this sacred ground. Gandhi had a vision for this country, and it still has a long way to go before that  materialise... I didn't want to prove a point either, so I also paid someone a small token to keep my footwear safe....



Ref:
Rajghat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments