Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Homemade Sweet Potato Noodles with Mala Xiang Guo (麻辣香锅)


So last week was the first time I tried cooking 麻辣香锅. It was so delicious that I needed to calm my nerves by finding where I can get a supply of the sauce. My colleague which gave me the sauce told me that I can find them in Yue Hwa shop. The only Yue Hwa I know is in Chinatown, but she told me now you can also find Yue Hwa in neighbourhood! So I google it and found one near my home at Simei! Yay! So I promptly stock up on the sauce, buying the same pack, and one different pack to try it out. And I also found sweet potato noodles at the Yue Hwa shop selling at a cheaper price than NTUC! So hence you get this blog about "Homemade Sweet Potato Noodles with Mala Xiang Guo"!
Above are all the ingredient for this dish.


Interestingly, you don't need a lot of meat for this dish. I put a lot of soya products instead cause they are great at soaking up all the mala sauce. Since I have a week old fish ball from my market, I thought I'll throw half in to try it out. But mainly, the ingredient is the same as my last week's hot pot. Actually, this dish is a great way to get rid of all your old food stuff in the fridge! Old vegetables, old meat, old dried stuff etc. Just throw everything in and voila! Everything taste awesome!


This is my first time cooking sweet potato noodles. So I cooked them in boiling water for 5 minutes. I wanted to cook them in the hotpot like all the other ingredient, but at this time, my wok was kinda full with stuff. So I decided to just set the noodles aside and mix it with the ingredient later. The noodles kinda harden up when they are cold, and soak up all the sauce if you put everything together. I cooked only one third of the pack of noodles that I got. The full pack cost me SGD3++, which is slightly cheaper than SGD4+ from NTUC.


And this is above is the final product. This week's hotpot wasn't as salty as last week's, mainly cause I threw in more vegetables, and the sweet potato noodle does a great job or soaking up the sauce and not let everything become too salty. So for the noodles, I just put half of what I cooked into a bowl, and then I topped it up with the stir fried hotpot ingredient on top, and put like 3 to 4 big table spoon of sauce over the noodles. Mixed it up and you have a wonderful spicy meal! I actually had this for breakfast. And i save the other half of the noodles for tea later. 

While searching on youtube last night on how to cook sweet potato noodles, I found a clip on Chong Qing spicy sour noodles. I think this dish may not be too far from my future! Yue Hwa actually sell 3 instant pack of Chong Qing noodles with sauce for SGD6.90. I was tempted to buy and try, but I was trying to cut down on my instant noodle intake. But this clip here shows how easy it is to make that I might give it a try one day. Enjoy!


Ref: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments