Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Kaohsiung Sizihwan Tunnel (Old Shoushan Cave) 西子灣隧道


Day 3 in KaohSiung, I woke up night and early and decided that it would be a good day to go to the beach! It was Saturday, and the summer sky was as blue as can be! After my breakfast, I took a walk to the beautiful train station. Above is the entrance with the escalator going down. I thought it would make a nice shot.


Some elaboration on the breakfast that was provided by the hotel. It is a help yourself breakfast, either bread with all the fillings, or porridge with all the toppings, plus coffee or tea. I usually take a little bit of everything, and enjoy it at the lobby if I am not in a hurry to go anywhere. Today was a free and easy day for me, except that my friend was meeting me in the mid morning for some snacks. Until then, I was pretty free to do whatever I wanted. 


It was so early the train station was practically empty. Apparently today was the day the blue cat station master event was going to be held! There was a stage set up along with chairs arranged in rows with the area cordon off. 


While waiting for the train, I saw the sign above which I thought was rather cute. It says that when the door closing sound is triggered, please do not force your way into the train. But the doll figure just bashing thru the wall was just hilarious! I like a country where their people don't take themselves too seriously. Good job Taiwan!


A slow train ride later, I ended up in Sizihwan station. It was a super huge station, but it leads up into a small town. I was going to the beach, but first, I need to find the tunnel that connects this town to the beach area....


Following the instructions on Google Map, I walked right into town and out of it, looking at the old Chinese shops on both side of the street. It was a pretty small town, but you could tell that it was rather touristy.  And right at the end of town, near the hills, I could see the road leading to the tunnel. 


What a beautiful magnificent site! For some reason, I always end up in a tunnel in Taiwan, lol! My most memorable memories being the dark tunnel of Taroko Gorge with a river flowing through it in the middle. That was extremely memorable! And now, I am about to venture into another tunnel on my own! But this one looked a lot civilised, with a proper road leading through it. This was the Old Shoushan Cave that leads to Sizihwan Beach. 


Walking in, people could tell I was a tourist. Everything was whimsical inside the tunnel. They actually have a projector showing slides and hologram showing images on the floor. The images were describing the history of the place, as well as information on a university here. No cars were allowed on the tunner, but scooters and bikes were allowed though. 


Some part of the tunnel were purposely dark, with display on the wall. The above photos gave the illustration that I was going through some space tunnel, or a tunnel through time. It was so exciting and sci-fi! I love it! I was excited about what would be at the end of the tunnel. My goal today was actually to see the black sand beach of Sizihwan. There were two roads to the beach, one was via this tunnel, and the other was via a road bridge. I will be going one round, going in via the tunnel, walking around the beach area and coming back via the road bridge. Good luck Cordy! Leaving you here with another beautiful scene of the tunnel with two cyclist coming out of it. In Japanese stories, tunnels are always gateway that could lead you to another world! How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments