Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Solo Trip - Taiwan (July 2023) - Tainan Anping Walk


I wandered around Anping after visiting the Fort. And came across the mazu temple.  The fort was actually just behind it. And I was following some alley ways, looking at trinkets along the way which lead me here. Above is the front view. 


And here is a more local view of it, with stalls selling drinks, snacks and souvenir outside. I did went in to pay my respect. And one of the thing about respect was, I didn't take any photos inside the temple. After visiting the temple, I walked down Anping Shopping Street in look for lunch. For some reason, everyone was selling fish crackers on the street. I was't a fan of crackers much, and I guess it was too early for lunch as most shops were still closed. That's the problem with having my lunch timing at 11am! But I was flexible. I found a soya bean curd shop and went inside to hide from the sun.


I asked the lady if I could sit inside since it was aircon. She said yes, so I ordered a black sugar bean curd with milk and she served it to me inside the shop. It was made of wood, with glass front that lets the sunlight shines in. Super lovely! And there was no one there! So I took my time to enjoy the bean curd. 


Not a very interesting looking dish, but it was delicious! I even told the lady so! I still have no idea why they serve it with milk. And did I mentioned it was served cold? In Penang, you can order it hot or cold, but in Taiwan, a lady once looked at me funny when I asked if it was hot or cold. I think in the summer, the default is always cold? Doesn't matter, it was a treat to eat such delicious cold dessert on a hot day! Cause the rest of the day was quite disastrous! And that was because the next tourist destination #4 was almost 20-30 minutes walk away, in which I would probably pass by #3 of the Anping Map. Anyway.....


After the nice dessert, I set off and left town, walking towards the water, wharf.  It was easy enough to find, maybe just 10minutes walk away? And the view was gorgeous! 


After crossing the bridge away from Anping, I came by a park by the water and followed it. And that's when it went downhill all the way. Looking for the Golden Palace was a mistake! Cause it was so freaking far away, and without shelter too! About three quarter in to the walk, I was thinking maybe I should just give up and go back. It was hot, the place was quite deserted, and it could have been dangerous for me to be walking there. I did met a lone AngMoh along the way, and we both smile miserably at each other. Yes, we were both tricked into visiting the Golden Palace! This place better be worth it!


About 80% into the journey, I found a park and quickly went into it. It was nicer walking under the shades, and I wasn't sure if it would lead me to the palace, or whether I would end up being murdered here. But it was a nice relief from walking on the road in what seems to be an industrial zone of Tainan.....


Luckily, I arrived safely at the Golden Palace.... Now looking at this photo, do you see any gold? Or any hint of a palace? Or maybe everything was hidden behind the tunnel? I sure hope so! Stay tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments