Thursday, January 24, 2019

Otaru - Sushi


After walking the full length of the main shopping street, we decided to look for lunch. We didn't want anything touristy, so we venture further, and even off the beaten path up the slope towards the hill. It was almost or close to 2pm, when we stepped into the above sushi shop. I can't read the name, so the photo should help explained the name and where to find it. It's a small shop with a middle age sushi chef inside. It was almost end of lunch time crowd, so not many people were inside. In fact when we left, they close the shop for the afternoon. 

 

This is what the counter looked like. We sat at the counter and ordered our food and beer. As you can see, they have other sushi menu on the wall as well, with the prices indicated on them. Interestingly, those items were not in the menu! So this is when reading Japanese really helped.


The above was my husband's sushi set. He also ordered a Sapporo beer which we shared. 


Above is my set. I always go with the most variety as possible. Incidentally, having sushi is recommended in Otaru. Apparently because it is closed to the sea, the sushi at Otaru was highly recommended. I wouldn't know. This was only my 2nd time in Otaru. But I did enjoy this meal. 


I ordered a crab miso as well, and this was what it looked like. There weren't much meat in it, but the soup was really crabby. LoL.


So as I was eating my sushi, I was trying to read the menu on the wall. And I saw selling there was Otoro, or tuna belly. I love tuna. And otoro was considered a premium cut of the fish. In fact, it was the most expensive sushi on the wall, costing me 700yen! I ordered just one. Sushi chef made me one and grumbled. I didn't care. I couldn't afford more. It was delicious! Melted in my mouth with all those fats! And that one piece, was what made this whole meal memorable. And so we rightfully end our blogging on Otaru day trip. 

Next topic: Noboribetsu!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments