Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Hanoi - Lake Hoàn Kiếm


18-Nov-2017, Hanoi - After freshening up in the hotel, we went out to explore the Old Quarters. The charming coffee cafe lining the streets with people looking out from the balcony is so charming. They look so calm and relaxed while just below them, the madness that is called Vietnam traffic blasted away. In truth the traffic here was a lot better than HCM. I could cross the road quite easily here, probably because there were so many small alleys instead of big wide roads like in HCM.


We decided to take a walk around the Lake Hoàn Kiếm, apparently the most famous and most happening lake in Hanoi. Just a few meters away, we walked into what looked like a temple ground. I am instantly transported back in time to beautiful green gardens and a small temple. The trees surrounding it was what made it so beautiful, and almost magical and mysterious. The temple itself was old but was not the highlight for me. 


Some distance on, we saw statues of Mr Ly Thai To. He look like a typical Chinese Scholar or Officer. There were lots of people out taking photography, whether it was wedding photos or graduation photos, or any photos. We realised that Vietnamese love taking photograph. There were many groups of ladies in traditional Vietnamese dresses taking photograph everywhere! I'll post a blog entry on that if I can compile all the photos. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the road around the lake is closed to traffic on weekends. So it was really nice walking there, but not so much during week days....


I find the whole place so pictureque. Look, even the pigeon decided to pose for my photos. Captured artistically with some Vietnamese wordings so you know I was really in Vietnam :P


We also managed to see the famous Opera House even though at this point in time I was too scared to cross the road to get near it and didn't know this was the Opera House. I thought it was just a government building of sort. But when we return here a few days later, we saw crowds of people taking photograph here. We didn't go in though. But this Opera House was definitely more grand than the petite one in HCM. Yes, everything in Hanoi is being compared to HCM for this trip. 


There was an Italian festival going on at the park, and it was decorated with lanterns of the Italian flag. Actually there was an opera being stage there that was free, among other events. Since I just came back from an Opera Festival in Italy, I wasn't too interested in it. But I thought it was really cool that they have such things in their public park for all to enjoy. 


But what I like most are these lanterns. I wish they were in more than three colours, but you know, Italy flag colours.... But as the sun set, and as the lanterns light up, it changes the whole feel of the park into someone more magical. Really love this place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments