Friday, January 12, 2018

Hanoi - Roadside Eating of Egg Coffee and Quail Salad


18-Nov-2017, Hanoi - After walking the whole afternoon, we decided to stop for a drink. I wanted to squat on the road and drink, but my husband was still in a cultural shock, so we settled for his Haka Coffee cafe instead with nice low chair looking at the road. The prices here were on the high side, even for me, but this was our first near to floor dining, so I thought it was ok. 


We ordered a mojito but turns out it was not alcoholic, lol. I ordered an egg coffee since Hanoi is famous for it. It came looking all foamy. Sadly I didn't like it, so that was the first and last order for me. We also ordered a cheesecake for like SGD3? Expensive cafe for me. But look at the view from our table. The small night market was just starting selling what looks more like china traditional craft than vietnamese.


Next stop, dinner! Another near the road dining experience. This meal I love. Above was the menu. It helps that there were English description on it. It would helps even more if they put the price. Luckily my husband is thick skin enough to ask the price of every item we wanted to order. Thankfully it wasn't that expensive. I would have love coming back here cause I love two of the dishes here: the fried fermented pork roll, and the bird salad.


This is what the fermented pork roll looked like. I didn't like the un-fried one cause there wasn't really much taste to it. Plus the idea that you are eating fermented pork wasn't really appetising. But the fried version was so good! Especially with Vietnamese chilli sauce and beer! A real drinking snack!

Above is also one of my favourite, bird salad! It was actually quail. And it was bbq or fried, doesn't matter. I love chewing on this. And the salad is both raw and sour, my kinda dish. Plus peanuts! OMG lovely peanuts! Would totally eat this whole night, with beer! The quail is actually quite gamey taste, and that could be one reason I love it so much.

I was so happy with the food I pose for it. Here is me, sitting just outside the shop next door. It was a souvenir shop, hence the colourful water puppets of Vietnam can be seen behind me. I am drinking a Hanoi Beer, and in front of me are the two version of fermented pork. You have to unwrapped the un-fried version, and people were just throwing the leaves underneath the table/tray. You can throw anything underneath the table/tray! Awesome experience here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments