Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Hanoi - Train to Sapa


19-Nov-2017,  Hanoi - I have booked us a 4 day 3 night trip to Sapa via a Hotel.com website. I tried calling them to confirm the pickup from the hotel, but no one ever picked up the phone. So by 8pm, I was wondering if anyone was going to pick us up, or this would be my first scam from the internet? Luckily the reception called us and told us someone was here to pick us up around 8pm. Although private transport was stated on the tour website, the agent of the tour agency just called us a grab/uber that sends us to the train station. It was an overnight train to Sapa. When we reach the train station, the same agent who has made his way there via moto, handed us our train tickets and that's it! Nothing else. We were left on our own. Some random guy took our luggage and guide us to our train carriage and demanded some tips. Apparently he wasn't from the tour agency -_____- But since we were not familiar with the train station, it was kind of a good help from him. Above photo was taken from the train station as we pull out from Hanoi and headed to Lao Cai station.


This is what the train ticket looks like. Nobody actually checked our tickets. The ticket was part of our tour, so I don't really know how much it cost. I guess you can look it up on the internet. 


Above is what the train station more or less looks like. This was taken from Sapa to Hanoi when we reached Hanoi station.


Each carriage of the train actually sleeps 4 person. Above shows our side of the bed. I took the bottom bed. There is a reading light, and it was rather cosy actually. I love traveling by train, and while it was cho-cho-ing along, it was kinda rocking me to sleep. There is a door which you can close to seal up the carriage for privacy. Before the train move, there is a lady who came knocking and ask us if we wanted snack. That wasn't really necessary, there were some snacks provided in the carriage. 


Closer view, you can see on the table mineral water is provided, along with some bananas, and some cakes. Wet tissue were also provided. And under the table is a dustbin. It was generally clean, but one cockroach was spotted on our way back. It really didn't bother me much. I still sleep quite comfortably. On our trip back, there were two caucasian guys who shared the carriage with us, and it was so wear that they wear their shoes while sleeping. I mean, their shoes were so dirty too. Plus the bed was kinda small for them, lol. I always feel grateful when I'm traveling in Asian side accommodation, or long hail flights on economy class. My size makes me fit quite comfortably. Even on budget airline, I have no problem sleeping through out the trip :)


Here's me seated quite nicely on my lower bed, and the reading light shining behind me. The weather was rather cold, and would get colder once we reach Sapa. So I was wearing a heating undershirt beneath my long pull-over. Great and convenient seeing attire! And off to Sapa we went!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments