Thursday, January 18, 2018

Hanoi - Sapa Kids, Food and Hotel



20-Nov-2017, Sapa - One of the unforgettable things I love about Sapa is how free the children are. They are not really tied down by school and homework and exam. They just roam freely and use play everywhere. They had rosy cheeks and messy hair, and a spirit that I would love in my children if I had any. Wild and free.


They played everywhere. On the slope, on the road, in the mud, with the animals. It was fun watching how carefree they were. I talked to some of the aborigine ladies, and most of them have children when they are 20 or 21 years old. The kids do go to school, but may study only primary school level. Kids as young as twelve could also be seen riding on moto up and down the village steep roads. There is just a sense of freedom that city people can never experience....


Our guide took us via a more challenging route when he saw we were comfortable with the hike. After around 30mins of steep hiking, we stopped by this midway drink shop that also act as a restaurant and grocery shop. They sold ice drinks, but we just got some mineral water to drink. The shop over looks the valley, so it was kinda neat. Our guide had a drink of tea with the owner as we were the only one there, and they offered some to me as well. It was jasmine tea, but very very bitter, served in a small cup just like how they do in China villages. 


Our guide also show us how to smoke using the traditional pipe. This was a communal pipe where you light it up and pass it around. 


We continued our walk, and after I happily feel into the river, it was a short walk before we reach a village were we stopped for lunch. As we stepped into the restaurant, more local folks turn up trying to sell us stuff. But since we are Asians, and there was another table of Caucasian next to us, we were left much to our own except this girl maybe 10 years old who stood beside me all the way trying to send me handbags. She kept repeating 1 bag for 50, 3 bags for 100. But I didn't need any bags. So I told her I wasn't buying. But she stood by anyway, and she was so pretty too I keep looking at her and laughing at her.


I would say I enjoyed the meal here the most. It was a simple village dish, of vegetable, tofu, and meat, but everything was so darn tasty we finished everything except for maybe the rice. 


We call it a day around 5pm and went back to the first hotel to collect our luggage. They then transfer us to our hotel where we would be spending the night. The name was Freesia Hotel, and it looked quite grand, seated on a slope. It was rather misty when we arrive. We were told we would be upgraded to a hill view room. Hurray!


And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the view of our upgraded hotel room! lol. I was just happy to be able to change out of my wet dirty clothing. Dinner was not included, so we have to make our way our and find food. I'll write a separate post on that next. 


Here is the view the next morning when it cleared a bit. But still.... lol. Breakfast was included, and it was lovely. The hotel was rather nice actually, except for a kind of traditional smell through out the common area, kinda like cinnamon smell. 


Anyway, look how happy I am! Taken outside the hotel after we had a nice dinner of just snacks and street food! More on that in the next post! I had my hoodie on cause it was still misty and cold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments